Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VDJ 76 Turbo Diesel - Engine Noise

Degsy

Country Flag
australia
Hi,
I have a 2010 76 cruiser VDJ V8 diesel and whilst driving, when you go to a neutral throttle position, the engine sounds awful rattly! The best way I can describe the noise is like a tappety type noise or "pinking" (pre ignition) on a petrol engine. It is only audible when you roll off the throttle, ie not accelerating or decelerating and is quite prominent.
The car is an ex mine car and has done 250k.
Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Hi Degsy from another Aussie.
It may be worthwhile getting your injectors out and cleaned or refurbished.
It is a common issue with that motor. (Don't ask a Toyota dealer, they would have never heard of it before.....)
Running a cleaner through a diesel is good as matter of ongoing maintenance, but doing it now may cause other issues, so best to rip them out now, spend the money and have a longer lasting engine going on.
Baileys Diesel do a high quality rebuild on them, look into there service.

Or it could be a small angry leprechaun inside your cylinder header smashing the hell out of the place. They do that.
Id try injectors first though as the Leprechauns are hard to find.
Cheers

Hi,
I have a 2010 76 cruiser VDJ V8 diesel and whilst driving, when you go to a neutral throttle position, the engine sounds awful rattly! The best way I can describe the noise is like a tappety type noise or "pinking" (pre ignition) on a petrol engine. It is only audible when you roll off the throttle, ie not accelerating or decelerating and is quite prominent.
The car is an ex mine car and has done 250k.
Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
I realise yours is an old post but did you find the problem ? Mine is just as you described but I would not say bad, it sounds a bit like a noise tappet or lifter at low power cruising.
Daniel

My VDJ78 does it too. Always has.
Pretty sure the VDJ ute I test drove did it too.
Side note - 200,000k's and injectors just all got the green light.

Back