Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VDJ78R Flip Top camper conversion

I have a Troopy in Australia and have looked at a couple of different options, pretty sure I'll go with the AluCab.

Hello Charlie, I think you'll be happy with your choice. When you get there, say hello to the Alu-Cab team for me.

Hello SteveS, we went with the flip top as a replacement for a RTT. My better half liked the RTT but didn't like the time it took to set up and pack away. With the top up and the bed in the raised position there is plenty of head roof to stretch out with pipe, slippers and the dog as well.

G'Day. I can see that there are a few threads about Troopy conversions, and I thought people might be interested in the one I recently had done. We had operated for a while with a roof top tent and a basic fit out in the back, with a dual battery system, 180w solar panel and regulator, an 80lt fridge and 60lt of drinking water. However, set up and pack away time for the roof top tent was becoming a pain if we were moving each day. We decided to have the roof cut off and have a pop top of some design fitted. There are surprisingly few options for a purpose built conversion for the Troopy available in Australia, especially if you rule out the various people who say that they can "make a Toyota Hi-Ace top fit". We found one guy in Melbourne who does great work, but offers a vertical rising pop top. The downside of the vertical pop top is lost roof load capacity, plus storage space is consumed by bedding when you're not actually sleeping. A guy in Sydney does a "European style" flip roof, again he does great work and enjoys an enviable reputation for quality. The flip top has the advantage of allowing for some loading of equipment and luggage on the roof as well as being able to keep bedding in place even with the roof down. The Sydney option lost its appeal when we were told that the vehicle would need to be with them for a few weeks - not a few days. A company in Perth, Quick Pitch Campers, offers a "European style" flip top as well, however, they offer a kit which is made in South Africa by Alu-Cab. Quick Pitch is the Australian agent for Alu-Cab. Fitting time is very quick, 1 day with 48 hours for the bonding adhesive to cure and set. The Goldilocks part of the Perth option was the speed of the conversion, but the total inclusions that come with the kit really was the icing on the cake. For slightly less than the Sydney option the Alu-Cab kit comes painted to match my vehicle, has three LED interior lights, two LED reading lights on flexible arms in the sleeping area, 25mm thick roof insulation, fit and finish to the interior trim and a very handy overhead shelf above the sun visors in the front. Watching the first cut into the roof was a gut wrenching moment of panic - after which the whole process was underway and there was no turning back.

View attachment 35733View attachment 35734View attachment 35735View attachment 35736View attachment 35737View attachment 35738View attachment 35739View attachment 35740View attachment 35741View attachment 35742
Hi Can you tell me where the place in Sydney that did a conversation is?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello Charlie, I think you'll be happy with your choice. When you get there, say hello to the Alu-Cab team for me.
Hi Alan I'm a new to this site , your troopy looks great and I am thinking of doing the same conversion . I also live In Melbourne an was wondering if possible I could have a look and a chat at your vehicle thanks Denis 0409554470

Back