Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VDJ79R - 70 Series Seatbelts

Karlos in a Cruiser

Country Flag
australia
The auto locking on the drivers seatbelt is driving me nuts.

Go to put belt on. Lock. Lock. Lock.
Goto open window. Lock.
Unlock passenger dock. Lock.
Drive over a speedbump. Lock.

It is way to touchy. It will lock 15-20 times in a row sometimes. Slow pull. Normal pull. Lock. Lock. Lock. Move 2cm. Lock.

Is this a known defect? Something i can adjust or fix? Or is the mechanism faulty? Anyone experience anything similar?

That doesnt sound right at all Karlos. :thumbdown:

Is it the original belt and has it ever been removed before?

The standard seat belts are side specific and the angle they sit at is critical to them operating properly.

Maybe it has been changed for a left one and thats why its not working properly. :think:

That doesnt sound right at all Karlos. :thumbdown:

Is it the original belt and has it ever been removed before?

The standard seat belts are side specific and the angle they sit at is critical to them operating properly.

Maybe it has been changed for a left one and thats why its not working properly. :think:

Not to my knowledge. Unless it was changed at a service for some reason. Dodgy mechanic or some such... ive owned it since new and never been in an accident.

I dont fully trust the mechanics at the dealership i was taking it to for warrenty period servicing. First service i did myself i found 2 of the 3 screw holes holding the fuel filter cover on stripped out. 1 screw was missing. And 2 rubber rings on the oil filter housing.

I will pop the cover and check it out tomorrow. Is there any markings or part numbers on the units that differentiate Left from Right?

my new shorty seatbelts are also painful ito locking up. now offroading is only done with them off as they will strangle you.
on road they are not as bad as Karlos describes.
my experience with cruiser seat belts is that they seem to go either much more sensitive (iow locking up) or much less sensitive (never locking up) over time/km
maybe you should completely replace and take your chances with a new reel?

Ok so not the wrong side.
20171122_190222.jpg

Might try get one from the 4wd wreckers in town.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Before you replace it, just pull it to the end and let it wind back on its own. Repeat severally until you get the desired results.

Also try to loosen the bolt and see if you can rock the unit one or 2 degrees to the left or right. Try different positions to see if any are better

Back