Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Velebit mountains (Cro) & around - May 2011

vrecha

There are many old roads there, leading to nice and wild places with beautiful views over the Croatian Mediterranean coast.

Some of the abandoned connections will soon be passable only by foot.
velebitRoad_01.jpg

Sometimes there is some work involved to free the way.
velebitRoad_02.jpg

Some panoramas:

One of the aims of the 4wd trip to this area could be a visit to some of the abandoned JNA (Yugoslav National Army) sites. This spring we went to Panos, once an important radio-telecommunication center of the JNA. Stunning views combined with memories of the not so distant past.

Another interesting object of this kind is the Zeljava underground airbase (not within Velebit mountain range, but a little norther, on the Cro-BIH border). Here are some pictures from the autumn 2010, when we last visited it.
-> Picasa link

For the idea, how it looked inside in the "glory days", one video clip:
[youtube:8kyolm6o]X455wiHCCac[/youtube:8kyolm6o]

stunning scenery and interesting installations to look round
looks like limestone rock too?
very dry

Some really great pics there. Love the ones on the old base, very interesting stuff. The Wikipedia page says the are is still full of land mines, so clearly not somewhere to just go for a walk-a-bout

Limestone all around. All other types of rock are a rarity.

As for the landmines, there are still many of them, but the paths are clear (regularly tested :whistle: ).

You do not post enough pictures Vrecha - consider this your first public warning & post more pictures next time!!!

:lol:

Stunning - I look forward to your trip posts very much :mrgreen:

Cheers

Will try to take the warning seriously and improve. ;)
The fact is I usually don't photo as much as I should/could and later when watching the photos I'm very keen on pressing the [Shift]-[Del] combination on photos I don't like.
From this spring's trip the pictures shown above are almost all that survived ... :|

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the pictures, :thumbup: it brought back a few memories, I've done three trips to Croatia now, I suppose I must like the place. :roll: I think some of the views in the mountains just have to be seen to be believed, sorry about the Suziki and Range Rover spoiling this view. :lol:

Croatia2010047.jpg

... some of the views in the mountains just have to be seen to be believed ...
Couldn't agree more.

And when you (or anyone else from this community) will be here next time, you can drop me a message and we can meet, have a chat or even do some 4WDing together. :thumbup:

Back