Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Velebit overland tour - autumn 2014

vrecha

Just returned from S-adventure Velebit tour that we organized past week. Due to the extremely bad weather forecast, only a small group of enthusiasts that have past experiences with bivouacking in snow covered and bura wind combed mountains of Velebit was gathered. Travelling with one vehicle also emphasized the feelings of remoteness and isolation that Velebit mountains are famous for.

Let the pictures talk. :icon-biggrin:

_A247643a.jpg

_A247650a.jpg

_A247652a.jpg

_A247714a.jpg

_A257767a.jpg

_A257828a.jpg

One of the aims for this trip was visiting many impressive remnants of the ex-Yu military bases, that were operating in this area. The main point of our interest was the huge underground airfield base. To get an impression of what we are talking about, glance at some videos from the era when the base was operational (end of 60's until the 1992). For example here, here and here.

_A261897a.jpg

_A267901a.jpg

_A267926a.jpg

_A267923a.jpg

Some more photos and writing on our blog, but the narration is in Slovene language, in "poetic" style, so I'm afraid Google translate won't do a good job.

Looking forward to the next trip of this kind! :icon-biggrin:

Bit late for the calendar, but some great shots in there. Good looking trip.

Roll on next August.

Bit late for the calendar ...

Usually, the mid autumn (and late spring) are the best times to visit this area. Summer can be unbearably hot, especially on southern slopes, while during the winter many old passes are impassable with vehicles.
But it is always a bit of a gamble with the weather. One week ago the weather was still warmer then average for mid-October.

In the end, it all ads up to the pristine adventure. :icon-biggrin:

Bit late for the calendar, but some great shots in there. Good looking trip.

Roll on next August.

It looks almost on the way Chris, sort of, ish...

image.jpg

Amazing photos, thanks for posting Damjan :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whats the situation with the land mines in the area and in Croatia in general Damjan? Are the minefields marked? Or are there known areas which are not marked?

The minefields are clearly marked in most areas that are interesting for overlanders.
But anyway, I stick to a very conservative approach - no walking outside the well-trodden paths in the areas that are potentially problematic.
There are vast areas that are known they were never mined, though.
As anywhere, local knowledge helps.

When i worked there i was told never leave the path or track. If you want a pee stand on the track. I covered most of the bottom half of the country and didn't see any mine fields to be honest. Did see a rattle snake though.
Stu

In the 90's and early 2000's there were still many unknown minefields and we that worked or migrated there took extreme caution as stumog described.
Today's a bit different in most of Croatia.
Bosnia though, especially some remote rural regions, is another story altogether. Locals cannot go in their own forests to pick mushrooms etc.

Regarding the snakes, rattle snakes there live only in zoo's. The venomous snakes are horned viper and European adder, and their venom is usually not life threatening for an average adult. Although the consequences of a bite can be quite unpleasant and you have to visit the doctor in case the snake bites you (no antidote is given, just supportive health care and monitoring).

Thanks Damjan. I'll head down that way sometime. It is an interesting part of the world.

The minefields are clearly marked in most areas that are interesting for overlanders.
But anyway, I stick to a very conservative approach - no walking outside the well-trodden paths in the areas that are potentially problematic.
There are vast areas that are known they were never mined, though.
As anywhere, local knowledge helps.

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Would love to visit those old airbases.

Croatia is a great country:thumbup:, I've been there four times now, so I must like it. Regarding the minefields, we were driving a track and saw some soldiers engaged in mine clearing in the field adjacent, so we stopped at the side to watch, when they found something suspicious they placed four stakes around it with red/white tape, I casually glanced down beside my drivers door and there right below the window - were - four - stakes - with red/white tape :shock: I would have stepped right on it if I had got out of the truck.

atomic.gif

Now we had been told everything had been cleared 2 metres either side of the tracks, but pee in the road if you have to go, we got out of there pretty quickly, and carefully. So quickly I didn't think to take a picture.
Given the opportunity I'd go back again though, fantastic scenery, warm weather, friendly people, well worth visiting.

Will be passing through Croatia myself next summer en route to Greece. Looks beautiful in the guide books.

Its amazing place spent 5 months there 10 years ago.
If you want some places just shout if you like steve.

Back