Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vibration when front right locking hub is on LJ70 axles

ziltus

Country Flag
iceland
Hello, my car was swapped using toyota axles from a swb lj70 thats roughly from 1980-1990 and suffers from a big vibration that makes the car undriveable in 4x4.

It starts violently vibrating the entire car at 50-60 km/h (31-37 mph), before and after those speeds the vibrations become minimal and well within the normal range for a car that is 36 years old and well modified

It would vibrate in 4H without the locking hubs being on/locked, 2H with right locking hub locked and left hub being unlocked. And it does not vibrate with the left hub locked and right hub unlocked in 2H

I had a suspicion that i had broken my cv joint but after taking everything apart today i found out that the cv looks to be intact and i was surprised.

I bought a new manual locking hub to replace the old one that probably came with the car from factory and has been worn with age but i have a feeling that the vibration is caused by something else. Has anyone gone through a similar thing and maybe know what could be causing vibration?

Currently running 38" and the tire pressure seems to have no effect on the vibration nor the speed at which it happens

First time on the forum hopefully i am posting this in the right place :)

Back