Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Victorian High Country

chrasjir

Country Flag
czech_republic
Christmas is for most people time to be with family at home but for us, it was time to explore our surrounding. After some searching on the internet, we have decided for the iconic trail in Wonnangatta river area. This circuit is rated as very difficult. :)

The night before we got into this track we spent the night in Blue Pool campsite which is a great spot for one night.

Next morning we refuelled our tanks and headed to Wonnangatta road. After approximately 30km driving through the valley of Wonnangatta river, we reached first difficult part which was Billy Goat Bluff track. This track is around 10km steep uphill (climbed over 1200m on this distance). At the top is nice view next to fire patrol station at Pinnacle lookout. Perfect camping on time was at Horseyard Flat.

Unluckily, day two was foggy and drizzly so we were driving nice tracks (Namely, Dry Hill track and Moroka range track) with water crossings and some technical muddy parts but most of the time we spent on a gravel road without views. The tent was set up at Howitt Hut, where we "celebrate" Christmas evening".

We were pretty relaxed but we didn't know what will come next day.
In the morning when was 10°C we hit the Zeka Spur track which is next difficult part of this drive. We weren't prepared enough so we were surprised by the distance of this part. It was in total 22km of very technical down and uphill drive with rocky parts and sharp curves. Luckily we made it and we reached Wonnangatta station. After lunch, we were heading against to the most difficult part and it was Wombat Range track which was just steep uphill but not a surprise after previous experiences. Our plan was camping at Talbotville camping, but we missed the turn and we continued on a difficult track (Cinthia range track). Award for this mistake was amazing to view from a helipad on the top of a hill. We could watch sunset longer time but we had to get out of that place before dark. Way out was very steep scary downhill which was for 1st low gear and braking. Luckily we reached river and signs so we knew where we are and finished that track just before dark.

Last day was just easy nice drive on the dusty road. After 20km we reached Dargo Road, inflate the tyres and head back to Melbourne.

I really recommend Victorian High country tracks. Just be prepared for changing weather conditions and conditions on tracks.

wonnangatta.jpg DSC02812.JPG DSC02818.JPG DSC02882.JPG DSC02923.JPG DSC02930.JPG

Great pics. :clap:

I know that area and all those tracks well and cant wait to get back! :icon-cool:

We should do a trip some time, even just a day trip would be cool. :thumbup:

I know that area and all those tracks well and cant wait to get back! :icon-cool:

Hi Ben,
That's great idea, let's do some trip. :banana-dreads:It would be nice for us to get into the offroading community, driving alone is sometimes scary :icon-biggrin:

Im a bit late to this one, but that’s a great write-up and photos, I feel like I was there!

Thanks for posting :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Ben,
That's great idea, let's do some trip. :banana-dreads:It would be nice for us to get into the offroading community, driving alone is sometimes scary :icon-biggrin:

Definitely mate. :thumbup:

I will send you a PM. ;)

Yes the High Country can definitely be a scary place on your own, beautiful, but scary! :shifty:

Reading your trip report reminded me of a solo trip I did where I went down a track that was ridiculously steep, like your one where it was 1st low and you still have to keep pumping the brakes! :icon-surprised:

The one I did on a solo trip, which may have been the same track, was also loose rocks and I was actually really really scared because if things had gone wrong neither of us would have been able to tell the tale! :wtf:

I really liked the write-up...

I’m trying to imagine me writing it in Romanian language... :?

Hi I am going to the Victorian high country mainly around Mt Skene for which i need a permit to travel the tracks in Winter this year traveling in July 2018 can you help me out with obtaining a permit for this please any help would be apreciated

thanks

Chris
Silver Streak

Hi Chris,

The only way to legally access Mount Skene in a 4wd in Winter is by being on a club trip, with a club that is allowed to issue permits/have access to that area.

If I'm in a 4wd club in July, which I should be (only just moved back to Vic) and I'm going on a club snow trip to Skene, you could tag along as a guest in your 4wd.

However there are lots of other areas of the High Country that are open, have snow and dont have any restrictions on them!

So if its snow and snow driving you're looking for, that can be obtained without the need for clubs and permits. :thumbup:

Thats exactly the info i was after any chance you can let me know of a few places that are open would be much apreciated also when we are down that wa y in july maybe we can catch up for a drive day

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I dont get on here very much these days. :)

I spoke to my boss and he said if its a good snow season then there will be lots of snow around Woods Point and all the tracks will be open. :icon-cool:

But if its not a particularly good snow season you have to go higher, up to Mount Skene. But sadly a permit is required to travel up there in Winter. :thumbdown:

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Back