Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Viscous coupling for fan

Mrwhattie

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi everyone,

Has anyone done a viscous coupling delete on the radiator fan, and fitted electric fans on a LC 200VX 4.7L petrol. I'm certain that by doing a delete, the fuel consumption will greatly improve.

The other question I would like to ask, have any of you changed the O2 sensors and the fuel sensors and found that the fuel consumption improved. I've got 220,000 kms on the vehicle now.

No great experience with L.C's, but I really studied all that was written about the advantages of electric fans when I had my Suzuki Samurai offroader. I fitted a Kenlowe and all was well until I went on a long offroad holiday and it died in the remotest possible place! I managed to get it working after a fashion but had to cut the trip short and limped home. Replaced with the original fan and it NEVER caused any problems.

As a result, I tend to shy away from installing leccy fans. Probably just unlucky but that's my two penneth worth!

I’ve had viscous couplings fail several times, with not good results, so I now have an auxiliary electrical pusher fan in front of the radiator that’s on a manual switch.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone done a viscous coupling delete on the radiator fan, and fitted electric fans on a LC 200VX 4.7L petrol. I'm certain that by doing a delete, the fuel consumption will greatly improve.

The other question I would like to ask, have any of you changed the O2 sensors and the fuel sensors and found that the fuel consumption improved. I've got 220,000 kms on the vehicle now.
99 % of the O2 sensors have a maximum life of 160k km , on older models 120k.km. They degrade gradually and throw fault codes only when they fail completly. So they are a consumable.
It starts with increased fuel consumption and when dead or almost dead.. can cause all sorts of problmes like rough idle when warm, slow take off.. hesitation when accelarating.. etc..
The pre catalsyst ones are the most important, the others are mostly to control emissions. those you can ignore.
If you are sure they were never changed you should , they probably pay for themselves in couple of months from the fuel economy.. On all petrol cars I owened I changed them imediatly as I reached 160 k, and tough I had no simptoms or fault codes, the fuel economy improved imediatly and the engine was more responsive and lively..

99 % of the O2 sensors have a maximum life of 160k km , on older models 120k.km. They degrade gradually and throw fault codes only when they fail completly. So they are a consumable.
It starts with increased fuel consumption and when dead or almost dead.. can cause all sorts of problmes like rough idle when warm, slow take off.. hesitation when accelarating.. etc..
The pre catalsyst ones are the most important, the others are mostly to control emissions. those you can ignore.
If you are sure they were never changed you should , they probably pay for themselves in couple of months from the fuel economy.. On all petrol cars I owened I changed them imediatly as I reached 160 k, and tough I had no simptoms or fault codes, the fuel economy improved imediatly and the engine was more responsive and lively..

If the pre-cat sensors are the ones that are important and the ones after the cat don't make any difference, would removing the old cats make any difference to my fuel consumption or with communication to the computer fuel management system. I am wanting to fit long tube branch manifolds with a free flow system (excluding a cat)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back