Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Viscous Fans

OG.

Seems the VF on my Colorado is a bit poorly. Get the 'whoosh' at startup from cold but nothing at all when hot (even when at the very top of the gauge).

Anyone know if a diesel one will fit a 3.4 V6? The V6 ones are rarer that rockinghorse droppings it seems....

There was a long running thread on this exact problem on a 3.4, will see if I can find it, it was a simple fix eventually.

There was a long running thread on this exact problem on a 3.4, will see if I can find it, it was a simple fix eventually.

Be good if you can find it. I've ordered some oil from my local Toyota dealer so will give that a try later in the week.

It was on the tlocuk site.

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11916&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Its quite long, you could probably work backwards!

Cheers

Pete

Cheers Pete.

From that the VC needed replacing (as I suspected). I ordered the oil last night from Macclesfield Toyota - was quite funny really.

Conversation went along these lines....

Me: I'd like a bottle of viscous fan silicone oil please.
Him: Never heard of it - where did you hear of that?
Me: There's quite a bit of information on the web about it.
Him: I've been doing this job 25 years but never heard of that before. The VC is sealed and not serviceable.
Me: There are a few videos on YouTube about how to do it. The guy obtained the oil from Toyota apparently. Out of interest how much is a VC?
Him: A new VC is £320+VAT.
Me: About this oil, let me see if I can dredge up a part number. (2 minutes hunting on the internet). Here we go. How does this sound.
Him: Yep - its valid and in stock. £7! I'll order one up. It'll be her Wednesday. You learn something new every day - I never knew that was available. I have some friends with Land Cruisers - I'll pass that on to them as well!

So Wednesday will see me in possession of some oil. Fingers crossed it works. If not I'll be hunting a diesel fan to see if it works....(or going electric).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well that must be the easiest job I've ever done on a vehicle. Added a full bottle of oil to the fan unit (it was pretty close to dry) in under 30 minutes. Just need to test it now but initial impressions are that its working better.

I'm not happy.

When my VF stopped working I paid over 500 EUROs to have a new one fitted to my 80.

That was 2 years ago before I joined this club or saw the U-lube vids...

Not happy at all!:snooty:

Run it about 500 miles and no sign of the overheating any longer. I'd call that a result.

Do you have the Toyota part no for the oil, or can it be got anywhere (I assume its the same for an 80)

Andy

My local yota dealer said he could not get it. I ordered similar viscosity from a model shop on eBay. Worked a treat.

Ok i know that this is an old thread but you may all like this
I discovered buy accident that the viscous fan fluid that mr T sells for $23 fir 18 ml
Is available at most toy suppliers as in radio controlled cars
R C Diff fluid 10,000 weight
Or SC 10,000
It cost about 12to 18 dollars for about 60 ml
Hope that this helps someone rectify there fan clutch
By the way i would do mine about every 150,000 klm
As mine failed not long after that and yes they will scream and make more noise than normal but that will see down in about 5 or 6 000 klm
you are all welcome

Just to help out i have dicovered that Radio cotrolled cars use the same fluid in there diff
Get on ebay and look up cst10.000 silicone fluid as thats the correct viscosity or weight for viscous fans ins Australia its about $13 for almost 60ml and is enough to recharge the fan
Do remember when changing the fluid that it must be done in a spotless environment
Happy hubbing so you know you usually require 3 of or sometimes just over of the small tubes from
Mr T and last time i looked it was nearly $30 per tube

Does any one know of a better fan option for towing or am i going thermo

Back