VWP Heavy duty battery isolator

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Seems pretty decent materials / construction. Looks like a Durite 0-605-50, same spec, but isn't.

IMAG1824.jpg

IMAG1818.jpg

IMAG1822.jpg

That one's for the winch I may get another for manually linking batteries when winching. They are big btw, the main body is 63mm diameter and then there's the overhang of the top plate. There is spare material on the top plate so there's room for new holes and shortening the plate a bit.

There's a rubber seal between the main body and the top plate but the bolts in the bottom are not sealed so I put a bit of silicone round them before putting them back in. The plunger in the middle of the top plate relies on the boot on the key or the supplied red cap to cover that up and seal it. Easy enough to take apart and check all is well from time to time though which is good.

VWP Heavy duty battery isolato

Jon I have one of those and was going to post on it after taking it to bits but of course I should have known you'd have delved in there already. I was impressed at the bridge and contacts
Properly thick copper and made well so that you can dog the connections up nice and tight.
Proper thing.

Chris

I fitted one of these a couple of years ago - as an isolator for winch and my jump-lead anderson connector
got it from VWP I think, it was worked fine and no obvious corrosion.

yep seems we're all set for reliable electric winching now with a TG THOMPSON solenoid and one of these isolators.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ahh well I don't want to say don't count your chickens Jon but I have been having winch Armageddon just recently with exactly that set up. It has given me sleepless nights trying to track it down. I also have the Lodar remote in that equation too.

I was doing some post off road maintenance and had been cleaning off the bumper etc. finishing off I went to wind in

The solenoid just clicked once and that was it. I wired in the lead remote and sometimes it worked and sometimes not. I stripped the winch and cleaned and fettled it. Hot wired it ran fine.

I had Lodar on the phone and they basically proved the system was fine, ok only the TG Thompson to go. I was showing 12v at the input side but just couldn't they the winch to run. I was at the point of changing the solenoid when I decided to jump the cut off with a jump lead. Whoa! Everything's workings

So I stripped the solenoid and it looked ok in there but with a little blackening on the contacts. I cleaned them up and used some electrical. On tact grease on them. Reassembled - as dead as a Dodo's uncle.

Ok by this time, I was counting down the time to leaving for the airport. Ok so I stripped it again and wiped off the grease.

Bingo, everything working 100% like a new one. Spent hours on it. I guess I had voles but no hams coming up the cable. It really wasn't very dirty at all but stopped the winch dead. I'd been having some tick tick tick issues In a deep mud hole the other week. I just spooled out some rope to wash it off and never got to wind it back on.

Like you I have sealed it a little better but I have to say it really was the last component I had thought would cause me grief. That being said, I do think its a good item. When you consider it next to those rally style plastic ones. Even the Durite ones. I had high opinions of those until I took one apart. They are utter rubbish inside. And in fact I think they could possibly fail dangerously. The insulation inside is so poor that I think there could be a short very easily.

I need to fit one for my rear winch now.

C

I should have said reliable for an electric winch :lol: It's only got to run a fairly cheap winch to scratch the winch itch until sorting out hydraulic power gets to the top of the todo list.

Back