Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wading

Brian S

Country Flag
england
For those of you that have gone wading in deep water, up around the top of the bonnet.

Was there any water coming into the cab through the doors?

Not intending to wade that deep....... intentionally, and not till I get the breathers and snorkel sorted.

Oh dear, there goes the good intentions not to modify my truck :D

Mine stayed bone dry but you have just reminded me that i removed a grommet from under the jack while fitting a fog light so it needs a new plug .

I don't have extended breathers but have never found any trace of water in oil so trusting Toyota's own solution it doesn't seem important .

The underside of the wheel arch is your sensible max depth without a snorkel .

@Chas What's the SP on HMS Phoenix then? sounds like you had a bit of fun:D

I think it would depend a lot on whether the plastic sheet behind the door cards is still intact Brian. Mine has been off a few times and is suffering a bit. Prolonged immersion would probably allow the doors to fill up through the drain holes and come through any tears in the membrane. Unless mr T has been clever and put some sort of rubber one way valve on the drains that I'm not aware of.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@Chas What's the SP on HMS Phoenix then? sounds like you had a bit of fun:D

Maybe I can assist post #175 in this Thread

Sadly, Chas got water into his auto box and lost all drive.

He wasn't so deep that have caused alarm, his snorkel was working fine, but With no drive, he needed a tow out of the gloop ....

That's when I ended up in my underwear.... :icon-rolleyes:

I've never been in an 'over the bonnet' situation (yet) but I have been up to the bonnet when crossing a river. I've also been at 45 degrees in a muddy bombhole with the water well up the driver's door. In neither case did water come in at all, although I didn't hang around in the river. These aren't land rovers after all: "it may leak, but it drains right well"! I well remember my mate in a then brand new last-of-the-line Defender getting a wet right leg driving down the motorway in the first big storm he'd faced in his new truck.

Land Rover actually issued a 'water ingress manual' to their dealerships:

book-510x510.jpg

Maybe I can assist post #175 in this Thread

Sadly, Chas got water into his auto box and lost all drive.

He wasn't so deep that have caused alarm, his snorkel was working fine, but With no drive, he needed a tow out of the gloop ....

That's when I ended up in my underwear.... :icon-rolleyes:
Just watched that......oh dear....

The cruisers are very water tight and find that mine floats before it gets to deep.

I have had my 80 well over the bonnet and my 95 just lapping the top of it. the 95 did have a snorkle and was a bit touch and go but when you look at the bow wave dip down you see its below the air intake by a few cms...

I really don't want a snorkel but more than once i have found the remnants of a splash of muddy water in my air box to remind me want and need are two different things .

I reckon if i did fit one i would swap the air box for one that can be sealed as well .

Why do you say your air box can't be sealed shayne?

It probably could Stu but being plastic with only 3 flimsy sprung clips it doesn't lend itself to the idea .

It's not something to which i have given a great deal of thought but i have a vague notion an 80 series box is steel so legs and bolt down lid clamps could be welded to it .

It probably could Stu but being plastic with only 3 flimsy sprung clips it doesn't lend itself to the idea .

It's not something to which i have given a great deal of thought but i have a vague notion an 80 series box is steel so legs and bolt down lid clamps could be welded to it .

:text-offtopic:

Do you happen to know if the flimsy spring clips are replaceable? Two of my three were so flimsy they broke, so my airbox is held on with a strap (classy as ever)

One came off in my hand and never went back on so i think its the plastic that breaks rather than the clip , might be able to melt one back on with a hot knife ?

One came off in my hand and never went back on so i think its the plastic that breaks rather than the clip , might be able to melt one back on with a hot knife ?

Sounds like my level of bodging: I'll report back!

My 80 air-box is steel, with the usual center pin and wing nut with a rubber washer, and three metal spring-clips around the circumference.

The lid sits on a rubber gasket, so not much chance for water to get in.

You'd have to look at the grit catch-can underneath it, I'm not sure whether that would let water in or not, I don't do wading...

I quite like the idea of a switchable air intake to draw from the cab in times of need. It would be pretty noisy though I would imagine. I don't see myself needing one soon but it would save that twitchy trouser feeling going through deep water. I just avoid the water for now but things might change. I saw a vid of a Russian 80 fording a deep chilly river with a rather nicely crafted stainless snork. Quite liked that. I'll see if I can find it.

Back