Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wagon Gear - 80 Series Tailgate Lids

Justin_Elliott

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I've placed an initial enquiry mail with Kevin @ Wagon Gear regarding the possibility of a group buy for their 80 Series tailgate lids...

IMG_0955.jpg

[youtube:l9anmfps]y7RdP-bOlog[/youtube:l9anmfps]

I'm awaiting feedback on costs (inc shipping)... but estimated to be IRO £250...

So who's interested?

At £250 I would be interested please. :thumbup:

Chas - noted

Still waiting for Kevin @ Wagongear to respond - I'll leave it a few days then give him a call... :?

Anyone else? :whistle:

I have spoken to him in the past about a 100 lid and would also be interested if it comes with a discount :thumbup:

Unless we get a [strike:1tc6qy3b]lot[/strike:1tc6qy3b] bit more interest the 'discount' is likely to be through shared postage... although as that's quite high, for 1's, it'll still be worth it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Overnight I received the following message:
Hello Justin,
So sorry for the delay, I have been pretty much completely offline trying to get the project truck out of the shop.
I only have a small 2 car garage and everything has ground to a halt with the truck in the way (over schedule, over budget, over due, the usual. :p)
It's rolling under it's own power now so time to put it aside and get back to work.

So, sitting down now and working on the inbox, good timing on bumping your note to the top of the pile.
I have worked with quite a few people on the international shipping, it's only ever been for one lid at a time and it has always been a costly pain in the butt. :p
Typically an international ride comes in at around 100-150 usd, last time I sent one to the UK I think I remember it was on the low end of that. Up till now I have not found a service that makes it any more cost effective to ship multiple lids at once (I'm all ears though????)
Some countries are harder than others and in those cases my customers have had good luck with an "EastBiz" company, shipitto.com
That might be something to look into.

For guidelines the 80 gates are packaged up at 54x17x3 and 29lbs
100 gates are almost exactly the same.

Even though I hate to admit it, there is no markup on the lids, they are already basically wholesale prices, shops over here in the states that buy multiple lids a year are all in the same price structure as well. I work with folks on everyone that I can, but the lids are priced as what they are (which comes down to; "way too much money to spend on a little bit more storage space". :p)

So once again, sorry for the delay, hope that info helps a bit at least.
cheers,
Kevin R.
So the "saving" would be in combined postage.

I'm still looking into the shipping costs (so no rash decisions anyone), but in a nutshell the numbers are starting to look something like this (assuming a $/£ rate of 1.65):

For a one off (i.e. if we were to shop independently):
Part Cost (inc Latches) {Based upon an 80's Lid} = $385
Shipping (US+Int+Insurance) = $193 (for one)
Import Duty (@4.5%) + VAT (@20%) = $146 :evil:
Total $725 (Approx £440)

For five off (i.e. shared shipping costs):
Part Cost (based on 80 series) = $1925 ($385 ea)
Shipping (US+Int+Insurance) = $595 (five off)
Import Duty (@4.5%) + VAT (@20%) = ~$640 :evil:
Sub Total $3160
Cost: $632 (Approx £383 ea)

Therefore an approximate saving of ~£56 ea.

So the cost will be iro £320-£380 ea depending upon inter-US shipping costs (I forgot to add on the Import Duty / VAT before :roll:)

I'm continuing to work on the different options and post some revised numbers shortly... but unless the qty's increase significantly, I doubt we'll see much improvement...

J

Just a thought, have a word with David at www.llama4x4.co.uk as he has containers shipped over from the states all the time. For a deal he might be able to have then put in one of his containers for less than the cost of shipping in other ways.

Paul

Thanks for the help - I'll look into both of those...

Edit: BundleBox - works out the cheapest so far.. Brings the unit cost down to ~£362.

Thanks for the update Justin.

Initially at circa £250 I was in... It's approaching £400. That's a tad "heavy" for me for a little extra storage space.

Olazz said:
Thanks for the update Justin.

Initially at circa £250 I was in... It's approaching £400. That's a tad "heavy" for me for a little extra storage space.
:think: I tend to agree. Still thinking about it though.

Yep... bit disappointed myself...

If you take off the duty/VAT it would be £280 which is doable.. but as this adds 25% its a killer!

I can't do it straight away but I have the use of a CNC router and I intend to make my own set of panels and tailgate storage.

I have sourced the same plastic Kevin uses locally, just have to get my finger out and find the latches.

Mine will be for my 62 but I don't see a problem with doing some for an 80.

As has already been said. I thought £250 was a bit salty as it was for a wee box in the tailgate, but thought it would make for a nice addition. I'm out of this one I'm afraid. :thumbdown:

I would be interested t see what you can come up with Derek J. Don't forget to post up some pictures of the build. :thumbup:

if you have a bit of time and a welder, they're not too hard to make.

I made one of my own, which in the end was a god thing as it turns out jdm tailgates have some extra reinforcement in them.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10250&hilit=tailgate+heavy

Time is the big killer, hence the wagongear ones being so pricey. That and the fact that kevin tends to use the very best in hardware for them.

Justin, reading again your reply from Wagongear, I don't believe him, after all this is a business he runs selling amongst other things T-shirts and baseball caps, I don't think it's as small as he implies, he says "Even though I hate to admit it, there is no markup on the lids, they are already basically wholesale prices", well, believe that if you will :think: , "I only have a small 2 car garage" "I have worked with quite a few people on the international shipping and it has always been a costly pain in the butt" he's pleading for some sort of sympathy here :cry: , maybe I'm being too cynical but all this says to me is, this man is making a living out of people who want his products, fair enough, but reading between the lines I don't think we are on any sort of a bargain with this deal.

Callum - :thumbup: Looks good, but time is the killer for me.

Chas: I'm coming to the same conclusion TBH.

He seems to have sufficient back orders and new products to keep him fully occupied - So I agree it sounds like he's sitting happy, making enough to fund his hobbies / lifestyle- so why consider reducing his prices for a bulk order?

Obviously frustrating, but while he's got a steady custom and people willing to pay for the quality and time saved etc... I can understand his point of view... I don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

Also, whilst his prices are high (IMO), I'd pay them - as its a significant time saver and a high quality product. But add in the shipping cost and the import duty / VAT on top of the part cost (and shipping) and I agree its too much for that little bit of storage...

So yep - I think we'll shelve this idea for the foreseeable...

Derek - I'd be interested...

I didnt voice my opinion at the begining but i thought it was quite expensive from the start. Each to there own though.If everyone had the same opinion about everything,life would be a boring place.

I have had a tailgate cut out for a while now ready to get something made to stick in the hole but like most things they get started and not finished.

If derek comes up with something then priced right i think that far more people would be interested in one.

Karl

PS. I agree with chas. The chap is running a business and the cost of these will be far less than offered. But there again thats the same with everything. We pay 2000 for a sofa for are front room that probably cost 300 to make.

Back