Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted 200 series - budget mid 20s

Bund

Country Flag
great_britain
A friend wants a nice diesel 200 series, ideally in light blue or white with black but will consider most, green doesn't seem to flat his boat.

Clean 200s with about 100k on seem to still be £35k+ . Mid 20s seems optimistic?

I think the late ones are certainly over 30k but I've seen a few early cars at low 20s but they did have closer to 200k miles. I think it's possible to get an 08 car for mid to late 20s. Time will tell.

I'll suggest this one to him as a few extra k for the later model with that spend on turbos and suspension looks a good deal, almost too good.

2012 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5 D-4D V8 5dr Auto Amazon 7 Seater | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
I'd be very weary of that one, quite high mileage, peddars suspension is an absolute downgrade compared to the AHC which has been removed rather than fixing, which is a shame a s the AHC is brilliant. Also, why has it done 2 turbos? That's got alarm bells all over it for me.

Hmmm he wasn't impressed anyway, a couple of red ones have come up, I quite like the colour but he doesn't seem keen. Though he said would consider other colours I think he holding out for white and black.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pre-2012 models seem to consume oil at high mileage. Worth checking google about oil consumption in 200 series pre-2012 models.
'Coupled to a Silky Smooth 6 Speed Auto'. These sellers just write whatever.

Pre-2012 models seem to consume oil at high mileage. Worth checking google about oil consumption in 200 series pre-2012 models.
'Coupled to a Silky Smooth 6 Speed Auto'. These sellers just write whatever.
Nope! Mine doesn't use a drop between 5K oil changes.

Hmmm he wasn't impressed anyway, a couple of red ones have come up, I quite like the colour but he doesn't seem keen. Though he said would consider other colours I think he holding out for white and black.
If he can stretch, spend a bit more. Mine was quite a bit over my initial budget, but it's low mileage, one owner and good condition/history. The ones I was looking at previously were a fair bit rougher and all needed more money spending on them to get them right.

I think if a good one came up in white and black he'd up his budget. He has an 80 series that he's owned for almost 2 decades. He's just not in a rush, much to my dismay. Lol

ok, im going to risk some eye rolling.

tell him to stick with his 80, if after nearly 20 years of ownership hes getting a little bored. spice things up with a new turbo/intercooler. a new double din head unit. sort out any body/chassis rust, even a full respray. recover the seats/steering wheel, full valet and magic tree, get back that new car feel and smell.

i feel like im giving middle age marriage relationship advice here..

He mentioned that things are starting to go wrong and he wants some modern comforts when covering ground.

He wants another one to last another 20 years, no reason this one won't but a 200 is a nice place to be.

He mentioned that things are starting to go wrong and he wants some modern comforts when covering ground.

He wants another one to last another 20 years, no reason this one won't but a 200 is a nice place to be.
yes, but a 200 wont last another 20 years. thats probable what im trying to get at i suppose.

What modern comforts does he want that can't be retrofitted?

I can only imagine bits need doing and he can't be hassled with the fuss, he could spend money on it but after 18 years it sounds like he just wants a change. I'm going to have it and try to get something sensible back for my 70, I could do with the extra room in the back and I'll tidy it up a bit.

He's moved on one of the more expensive ones he's seen.

I'll let him have the 80 back if he regrets it, but my 70 will need to go so will start looking for offers.

Back