Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted: HJ 60 advice!

julian67

Greetings from the Caribbean!

Found an up / over rear back door, petrol, lhd LC (not sure what year) that's not run in a few years and keen to buy it!
Milage is 150000 kms but not sure if it's original. Looks like it though as the seats etc look in good shape.Cleaned the plugs, stuck some petrol in the tank & carb and she fired up. Motor sounds heathy & easy to start!

Petrol did not come through from the tank so difficult to keep going. When it did run for a few seconds, I engaged first & rear but vehicle did not move. Had no time to jack up the body to check if one or more wheels were stuck on the brakes or if it had a damaged prop / gearbox.

Q:

If it's not the brakes / prop / gearbox, what else could it be preventing it to move?

Also, one wiper motor arm is missing.

Q: Has the wiper motor got 2 arms attached or are they seperate?

Toyota used parts are VERY limited here!

Q: If the wiper motor is not repairable, is their another Toyota model or another Japanese car wiper motor that would fit if I took off the original wiper motor?

Any other buying tips would be most appreciated!

Many thanks.

[email protected]

Hi,

I don't have a 60 series truck but use a 60 series engine, box and axles in my 40.

However, most likely to be the brakes stuck on (was the habndbrake left on while it was stood?) The handbrake actuators on the back of the back plates sieze up but will free up easily with suitable help.

The fuel in the lines from the tank may well have gone to glue - usually in the flexible section - just replace it. With age the flex pipe swells inwards and eventually blocks the pipe.

The clutch slave cylinders are a little suspect - seals freeze when stood for a longtime. Take the s/cyl out (2 bolts) and gently try the clutch - is it moving. if not replace the unit or seals.

Checked in my book and the wiper motor may have a bad earth or a binding cable (drive) - lubricate. Most likely a small problem as the unit is basically very reliable.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

HJ 60 brake advice

Greetings!

As it's been over 2 months since I checked out this HJ60 & I'm back in the UK, I can't remember what type of brake system it has!. Almost sure the front are discs.Vehicle registration says it's an '87 model. One rear back wheel is stuck. Handbrake is off. Vehicle has not moved in a few years. Heading back in November!

QUESTIONS

Does an '87 have discs all round or just discs
on the front/ drums on the rear?

As I'm now in the UK, would anyone know the
part no for the brake caliper rubbers?

But if it has drum brakes on the rear, what is
the slave cylinder rubber part number?

Also, if it has brake servo system, what parts
do I need for a rebuild?

What is the clutch cylinder rubber part no?

UK HJ 60 parts supplier?

PS Thanks Rodger for the great advice. Apologies for the delay!

Re: HJ 60 brake advice

julian67 said:
Greetings!

As it's been over 2 months since I checked out this HJ60 & I'm back in the UK, I can't remember what type of brake system it has!. Almost sure the front are discs.Vehicle registration says it's an '87 model. One rear back wheel is stuck. Handbrake is off. Vehicle has not moved in a few years. Heading back in November!

QUESTIONS

on the front/ drums on the rear? disks in front, drums on the rear

As I'm now in the UK, would anyone know the
part no for the brake caliper rubbers? it think you can find it here ':http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1987_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_FJ60LV-KA_4705.html
P.S. for the link you would need to register.

But if it has drum brakes on the rear, what is
the slave cylinder rubber part number? I think you can find it now.

Also, if it has brake servo system, what parts
do I need for a rebuild?

What is the clutch cylinder rubber part no?

UK HJ 60 parts supplier? Sorry....

PS Thanks Rodger for the great advice. Apologies for the delay!

Hy Julian, welkom here. Do you have some foto's ?

If it is a petrol engine, it is not a HJ60, That is the diesel 60 serie. a FJ60 is the petrol version.

A lot of info about this engine and car can be found on http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/It is a USA based forum, and there they almost all drive petrolcars

Re: HJ 60 brake advice

julian67 said:
QUESTIONS

on the front/ drums on the rear?

!
Usually they will have dics on the front and drums on the rear,however some low spec models have drums all round and no power steering.These are usually sold in Africa or the Middle East.
I dont if its any help,but many of the brake components are the same as a leaf sprung 7* series of the same vintage.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If brakes are seized put in nuetral hand brake off and rock it if clutch is seized put in gear and rock it they should free eventually. Tailgate model is better quality than barn door model as the barn door model was commercial model made for police fire brigades and other commercial applications also army. the tail gate model was made for normal consumers and better built. Good luck with it mine is a diesel and I get 500k from full to E below E I have another 20 liters of fuel which would give me bit over 650k's there abouts.

Back