Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted manual 80 series

LadyJayne

Country Flag
uk
Evening All! Still looking for an 80 series, manual diesel. £15k waiting anyone have one for sale or know of one? I’m a Private buyer not a trader.
Thanks!

Why specifically manual? are you wanting 12V/24V? £15k should get something good if they will let it go.

Personal preference all my previous Toyota’s have been manuals. I’m happy with either 12 or 24

Horses for courses , an auto takes all the joy out of driving for me .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Something weird there... the car was in the IOM and then returned to the UK - fair enough.

But was MOT'd in the UK in June 2020... so why didn't they do the V5 at that time - looks like its currently untaxed and has been since it returned from the IOM... be interested to understand what happened here.

I did exactly the same thing with the hummer , got pissed off phoning the dvla to find somebody who knew what they were talking about who would explain it was a very simple process - then forget to send me the forms .

It was in the way and had to go to someone who had space and time .

Oh getting an MOT meant adding a rear fog light , it was as complicated as that .

Fair enough Shane - just struck me as a bit weird to not do the paperwork for nearly 2 years.

I think it's normal that you can MOT a vehicle while it's still registered overseas so to Speak, My Africa Twin had a years MOT But was still registered in Greece, When i MOT'd it again after it was registered in the UK, It was on the system as having only ever been MOT'd once and 1 owner from new.. If that makes sense... You can MOT Stuff with just the VIN number.... The Africa Twin was in the UK for over a year before being Registered

The 80 in Question is round the corner from me, I can take a look if anyone is interested

There is no mot in the isle of man , mate of mine taxed his classic ford capri ever year despite it being sat in his garage for maybe 15 years so he never had to mot it if he ever got around to rebuilding it - again .

2 years no road tax and it has to go to the test centre i think .

Take a UK car to the Island and i think they give you 6 months before it must be tested and given a Manx numberplate

Last edited:
Close enough Shayne - Uk cars over 3 years old need testing on import, any vehicle not taxed needs testing before taxing - and as you'll know, the IOM test centre can be a law unto themselves - I've imported a few cars with fresh MOT tickets that got failed for random stuff (example, indicator lenses not being orange enough!).... in theory any UK imported car should be tested and taxed locally asap - the 6 months thing used to be an unwritten rule, but these days it depends on the copper, on any given day.

If they are bought in or driven in is the difference , holiday makers often never leave .

Hi there all firstly thanks for pointing out this car to me it was in fact in budget and on spec that said I’d already seen it and view it

I was very suspicious about not having paperwork and being from the Isle of Man

That aside I made contact and went to view the car, It had an offside full sill replaced strarting to rust again, the nearside rear inner wheel arch had started to rot with a hole through to the sill.
Engine looked like it had had a bottom end repair with non-factory sealant showing around the sump
Also found it very weird that it had no V5 and no history looking a bit further into it found out that the guy who wasn’t a “trader” was getting round the insurance issue bye having a trade insurance policy and the MOT must’ve been carried out by somebody who he knew as certain things that would have failed an MOT most obviously had a frayed drivers seatbelt significantly through half the belt and approximately 10 inches of the belt!! He must think people are daft?

As for no V5 It clearly states on the DVLA‘s website never buy a car without a V5 the guy who was selling the car owned a car wash and advised me that it was a simple process,
So I contacted the Isle of Man and the DVLA and the HMRC and worked out it wasn’t as straightforward as everybody seems to think but potentially still doable that said the car for me was overpriced for what it was it was a basic model with high average/poor interior looks good in the photographs but a lot of cars do that’s why I always pays to go and view them.
Would avoid this one personally to many “issues”

Thanks for sharing the feedback - hopefully will save someone else wasting their time.

I'm in the IOM and re-registing is straightforward as long as you have the V5s etc to hand.

Keep looking - there are good vehicles out there! :)

Engine looked like it had had a bottom end repair with non-factory sealant showing around the sump

I wouldn't hold that against it, when I replaced the BEB's on my mint 1995 VX I didn't use factory sealant, just some RTV silicon sealer but the sump hasn't fallen off yet.
I realise its a GS poverty spec but I wouldn't hold that against it, the vast majority of VX interiors are very shabby indeed and the cloth interior is very durable.

Now you realise what a challenge you are facing, everybody that wanted one has got one ( or more) and don't want to let them go.

Good luck with your search, I'm sure a few on here will be looking out for you too.

Back