Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted: Second Car (opinions and recommendations welcome)

Jacob100

Supporter
We've been busy kicking tyres over Christmas but the hunt for a new second car has ground to a halt. Obviously I'd love another Land Cruiser but I don't think having two would be feasible.

Not 100% sure what we're after - most likely a smaller 4x4 or an estate of some sort. Anything vaguely interesting with a bit of room that's not too terrible on motorways and longer journeys.

We'll have a black Mini Cooper (03-plate, 100k) with history and full leather up for sale if anyone is interested. It's a nice little car but it never gets used unless it's absolutely necessary; I'm not even insured on it. The idea is to replace it with something bigger and more practical to take a bit of weight off the Land Cruiser.

Anything for sale out there or anything you swear by?

We've been busy kicking tyres over Christmas but the hunt for a new second car has ground to a halt. Obviously I'd love another Land Cruiser but I don't think having two would be feasible.

Not 100% sure what we're after - most likely a smaller 4x4 or an estate of some sort. Anything vaguely interesting with a bit of room that's not too terrible on motorways and longer journeys.

We'll have a black Mini Cooper (03-plate, 100k) with history and full leather up for sale if anyone is interested. It's a nice little car but it never gets used unless it's absolutely necessary; I'm not even insured on it. The idea is to replace it with something bigger and more practical to take a bit of weight off the Land Cruiser.

Anything for sale out there or anything you swear by?
Rav 4 cheap end reliable little trucks.

Rav 4 cheap end reliable little trucks.

We've had one in the family from new (02) and in that time its had 1 fault ( the auto box ECU needed replacing, a not unknown fault). For the money these days they are a good bet.
Is a Collie off the radar? Give us a clue as to which direction you want to head as there's thousands of options under £3k, £2k, £1k.
Small car wise I'd go for a Yaris D4D.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a rav4 for a year and my other half had it after for another year, typically trouble free motoring and drove lovely

We've had one in the family from new (02) and in that time its had 1 fault ( the auto box ECU needed replacing, a not unknown fault). For the money these days they are a good bet.
Is a Collie off the radar? Give us a clue as to which direction you want to head as there's thousands of options under £3k, £2k, £1k.
Small car wise I'd go for a Yaris D4D.

Around the £2k mark Andy depending on how much we manage to get for the Mini. This would pretty much rule out a ‘proper’ 4x4 like the Collie and Emma is very picky about the smaller ones. It’s mostly needed to get her and some light equipment up and down the M1 to London once or twice a week which takes us to ...

Volvo V70

Yes, the Swedish barge. We’ve had two and loved both. This time we’ve thrown Saab and M-B into the mix but Subaru is OUT (not me).

But so much for the sleek and sensible. My list of day vans, LPG Autobahn stormers, pickups, convertibles and marginal off-road vehicles is growing daily so we’ll see what we end up with. It’s a good time of the year for Bangernomics.

I could never find a comparable vehicle to the Collie , anything later and i find myself wondering if katie price might like one :whistle:

I've been considering a good sized estate as a daily driver for the same reason, to take pressure off the cruiser. The V70 is pretty much top of my list, but would consider an Octavia combi in RS spec too. Nice bit of poke and a ginormous boot. Plenty available too

A Honda civic then? The non boyracer ones are cheap insurance and you get a lot of car for the price.

Was going to suggest the scooby Outback or Forrester do you want 4wd or rwd or fwd if you have the time try a vehicle auction house near to you you just might see something you have not thought of good luck with the hunting

I would echo what others have said : Rav4 or Subaru Outback/Forrester base, you can pick them up with low mileage in very good condition and tick quite a few boxes.

Mitsubishi Space Star. The 1.9 DiD is pretty quick. Probably the same Renault engine as the Volvo (but modified by Mitsubishi to last). We’ve had 2 since 2002, still got the second. Great practical uncomplicated and spacious. Especially with back seats down. Bit bigger than your Mini but not Volvo big. You’ll probably get change out of your budget too.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

May have to go and have a fresh look at a RAV4 or an Outback - both very popular around here.

Seen some horror shows today which makes me think it’s worth saving up for a second LC. Can’t really get excited about anything else.

Having said that this lifted brick on Jeep suspension put a smile on my face.

F554D104-FE8E-4A2A-912E-2295E2B1202A.jpeg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/143066428733

I had an E Reg one of those. It was ok but a bit boat like round the bends.

Back