Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted South African Registered 80 Series

ByronJ

Country Flag
wales
Hi

I am looking to buy a South African registered 80 series Land Cruiser. Ideally I am after a diesel auto with lift up rear doors.

So far I have been looking on http://www.4x4community.co.za, http://www.africa4x4cafe.com, HUBB, Gumtree and Autotrader. My partner lives in Cape Town but I am prepared to look anywhere in South Africa.

If I wanted a petrol manual with ambulance doors I would be spoilt for choice (almost). I plan on looking for exactly what I want for a few months before compromising. But that is just a plan...

If anyone in SA has an 80 they want to sell or can point me to a good car then I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Thanks.

Byron.

Last edited:
Hi Byron

Join the landcruiser club S.A. it's really good and lots of excellent cruisers for sale.

My father in law may sell his cruiser I will ask him.

Just be careful buying from near the coast.

Stu

Not tempted with a 70 then Byron if your buying in SA?

Hi Byron

Join the landcruiser club S.A. it's really good and lots of excellent cruisers for sale.

My father in law may sell his cruiser I will ask him.

Just be careful buying from near the coast.

Stu

Thanks Stu

I have just registered with Landcruiser club S.A. Just waiting to be approved :). I guess the east coast in particular is likely to produce more corrosion problems?

Byron

Well most of the coast is bad for rust.

Most people try and buy cars from the north and then take to the coast.

Of it was me I would be looking at a 105. The 80s over there tend to have been used a LOT by now.

My friend there has one that is a 96 1hdt with 120km on the clock with a spec that he had made for him in a small batch back in the day. This 80 has my name on so will Not be passing his details to you...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My friend there has one that is a 96 1hdt with 120km on the clock with a spec that he had made for him in a small batch back in the day. This 80 has my name on so will Not be passing his details to you...

Cruel of you to tease me like that :smiley:.

Byron.
Would it not be cheaper to buy here and export it out there?

Karl, import taxes on vehicles to SA are quite high. It is unfortunate as I was looking at sending something there from a Japanese auction. By the time you add it all up you end up at local market rates.

It's 100% import tax plus vat unless you can get an exemption. For a classic.

With the current exchange rates cars are a good price now.

Byron.
Would it not be cheaper to buy here and export it out there?

Hi Karl

As Stu and Ako point taxes are high and formalities a pain. There are concessions for South African's returning home after a couple of years working abroad or for new immigrants on work visa's which mean importing a car can possibly be a good option. But I can't think of a way to blag such a concession.

Also owning a South African registered car means it is much easier to travel to the adjacent countries (far less formalities than with a British car) and you can sell the car in SA when you are done with it. Of course sourcing a car from the UK has its issues but with the relentless rain here in Wales perhaps a trip to SA is not such a bad idea :).

Last edited:
Hi Karl

As Stu and Ako point taxes are high and formalities a pain. There are concessions for South African's returning home after a couple of years working abroad or for new immigrants on work visa's which mean importing a car can possibly be a good option. But I can't think of a way to blag such a concession.

Also owning a South African registered car means it is much easier to travel to the adjacent countries (far less formalities than with a British car) and you can sell the car in SA when you are done with it. Of course sourcing a car from the UK has its issues but with the relentless rain here in Wales perhaps a trip to SA is not such a bad idea :).

Well if you need someone to look one over with you who has a fairly good idea. Count me in. An all expenses trip sounds good ;)

Good look with the search mate

Hi Byron... i am from Sunny South africa. What would your budget be?
Do you prefer a turbo diesel or a 1hz?
PM me and i will try to look for you as well.
Thanks

:oops:
Hi Byron... i am from Sunny South africa. What would your budget be?
Do you prefer a turbo diesel or a 1hz?
PM me and i will try to look for you as well.
Thanks

Good morning RH. Thank you very much for your offer of help. I managed to get hold of a decent 80 series a few weeks ago and drive it back to Cape Town from Durban.

I do feel guilty for not posting of my success earlier :oops:. so thank you for the reminder. My excuse is that since buying the car I have either been sorting out minor issues with it or have been off travelling in it with my partner Zelda.

It looks like you have managed to find yourself a great car, well done and have fun with it. I don't have too many photos of my car yet but it looks eerily similar to yours...

IMG_4639.JPG

The 80 is a diesel auto. It arrived into the UK as a grey import and was brought out to SA about 3 years ago by a returning South African. I will put together a post with more info later this week. Right now I have a pile of domestic / gardening duties to do. We have just returned from a long weekend away where we drove Klein Tafelberb 4x4 trail. A great experience :)

Last edited:
Back