Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted. Trailer Overland type

Gr8Yota

Country Flag
scotland
I'm looking for a trailer, possibly with a RTT, off-road capable. Not needing anything huge, just so I can carry kit easily for me and the dog. Sanky is too big and heavy for me but can be that basic, all the fridge slides, pop out sections etc are great but I don't have a lot of money, it does need to be a secure 'box' though . Would like 16" Toyota wheels so spare is interchangeable. Not going to say a budget, as I don't want to miss out on something that would be more than perfect if I stretched a bit...let me know if you have or know of anything.

Try Overland Equipment Exchange one going for 3200 pounds its in Essex

Bugger ! Still can't get it to display properly here. Try this with https at the front.

://whitelabel-2.globalauctionplatform.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/timed/wca/catalogue-id-witham1-10000?searchTerm=trailer&whereToSearch=%2Fen-gb%2Fauction-catalogues%2Ftimed%2Fwca%2Fcatalogue-id-witham1-10000

Last edited:
Think you have to register and sign in to view

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another place for a Penman trailer is L Jackson at Bawtry. They also have 4 amour plated Toyota 200 V8 D4Ds for sale - the one in the photos has 107KMS on the clock.
Having visited both, admittedly years ago, Jacksons were far more helpful and friendly and took pains to to get you exactly what you were after.

Try Overland Equipment Exchange one going for 3200 pounds its in Essex

Yep I did find that on FB with some poor pics and seller said he reposted with better pics but I can’t find it, I couldn’t find any info about it anywhere so if anyone knows about them please tell more.

Bugger ! Still can't get it to display properly here. Try this with https at the front.

://whitelabel-2.globalauctionplatform.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/timed/wca/catalogue-id-witham1-10000?searchTerm=trailer&whereToSearch=%2Fen-gb%2Fauction-catalogues%2Ftimed%2Fwca%2Fcatalogue-id-witham1-10000

Thanks, I found the Witham ones and a friend has one for sale but too big and heavy for me really plus all that steel to rust out....plus of course Land Rover hubs and wheels

The Overland Equipment Exchange one i found through google The Venter trailers are in Yate nr Bristol

Last edited:
You’ve probably seen this. They pop up now and again. Think there’s an agent/importer somewhere in the North.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/292901199845

Thanks, yes I saw that, did actually bid on a Venter a couple of months back, had lots of extra bits and if I recall went for less than this. the smaller wheels put me off these, I would like to try and find something that I can run same wheels as the FJ (285 75 R16) or at least close enough for emergencies... makes spares interchangeable etc. Venter have an agent in Bristol and one in Scotland too.

Shame - you could have had my trailer with full-size wheels for a song two months ago.

Well I have one strong contender but looking overseas to see if I can find something perfect and as a bit of an investment as they seem to hold their money so well. Does anyone have any experience in IVA of an imported trailer? I'd love to use the Australian articulation hitch but guess that won't pass IVA... maybe I can swap it back on afterwards?

The begin with - no. But I am interested in the question.

It's my experience (not the law) that in the UK no one seems to give a stuff about what you drag behind you or how you drag it. As long as it has an identifiable reg mark, it's not overloaded or unsafe, no one cares even if the lights don't work very well.
I inadvertently put the wrong plate on mine once and found a cop car in the services to make the confession. He asked if both plates were registered to me, which they were. That was it. Not remotely bothered.

On the continent (rest of the civilised world) there's all sorts of regs. I got my trailer from SA via New Zealand. The original owner needed the chassis plate back with all sorts of data on it. They sent me a replacement. I just chucked it in a drawer.

You can build a trailer in your garage here in the UK. Forgetting commercial towing here, other than lights, tyres and a reg plus having towing on your licence, what requirements would you have to satisfy?

Genuinely interested as I might be missing something important! The main restriction is on the fitting of certain tow bars to vehicles first driven after 1998

Well I have downloaded the IVA manual and yes you're right mostly about lights and wiring. But does specify an E marked type hitch, for that matter my US receiver on the FJ is't legal but it passed IVA whereas the first garage I spoke to said they had to remove or blank it off for IVA. Lights are listed as needing to be E marked but I can easily swap out lights and add fog and reverse. E brakes are permitted but controller has to be mounted to the trailer in Eu.

Sure, sorry, what I meant is why would the trailer need to go through IVA if you brought it to the UK. It's a frame with wheels. Put simply, if I drove to a non EU country, hitched a trailer up and then booked a ferry back across the channel as long as the trailer had the right reg on, I doubt that UK customs would even give it a second look. I know Metalian ship trailers direct to customers here in the UK.

Motor vehicles obviously are a different thing. Just not sure why a trailer causes a problem. Mine is on a NATO hitch. I just bought it off e bay and bolted it to the trailer.

Back