Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanting to have a land cruiser for overlanding

That would make me suspicious so i would walk away .

How about calling in on the guys that service Clive's truck to see if they can point you in the right direction . We have no idea of your mechanical or 4x4 history so forgive me for saying few quid to take an experienced eye along with you while viewing cars for sale will likely be money well spent .

Don't tell him i said so but Clive's truck is a testament to the quality and skill of the people he uses to maintain and repair it .

Pardon? I heard that :lol:

Cheers Shayne, I do recommend them.

[email protected]

As I think I said before, they are 80 series fanatics no know those in the know. It might be worth giving Razvan a ring on 0723541851.

Hello,

Haven't posted in a while but still looking for a vehicle.
What are your thoughts on an 100's V8 4.7 petrol ?
Is it reliable enough?
Someone is selling one for 7000Euro. Has no environment tax I'm sure but it's about to not be required anymore starting tomorrow 1st February.
For such a big engine the annual tax is about 1700Euro but if I keep it for a few years it might be worth it.

They're lovely and smooth Silviu. @Jon Wildsmith has one so may be able to help. As far as I know they're good vehicles with good engines as long as they are not too rusty underneath.

Good luck with it. :)

afaik the 4.7 petrol 100's are reliable. I'm on my second one.

US trucks will be petrol most likely, no real bad thing, they're cheaper to buy but I have my reservations about reliability at the high mileage end of the scale.[/QUOTE]

I've had the petrol and the diesel. The petrol is a really refined motor, very smooth, bags of power and sounds great! The diesel feels a bit more agricultural, but still plenty of power - not as refined.

Instinctively I felt that the V8 would take less abuse over time. But I would have thought that 100K miles / 160K KM wouldn't tax it.

afaik the 4.7 petrol 100's are reliable. I'm on my second one.

Not sure whether Jon would agree?? He's had many more years with V8's and a lot of mechanical experience of them too.

Jon what sort of miles have you taken your 4.7s to?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you have a look on the US IH8MUD forum, there are plenty of 100 series petrol owners with over 200k miles on the clock without any major repairs done to the engine. I'd say the petrol motor is probably as good as the diesel in terms of reliability, but having not owned one, this is more of a personal opinion.

Just drove a 4.7 V8 100 Series in Rwanda and it has excellent road manners but more importantly, the V8 was fantastic for a bit of minor rock crawling - dab of the foot and you get over most things. The one we used only had one big issue and that was a dodgy driver's window control that made keeping tsetse flies out of the car interesting.

only 150k on ours so run in but longevity not tested yet. As has been mentioned, plenty of high milers on ih8mud some over 400k I think and a few in the 300's (that's just what I think I have remembered - not verified!) and I have in mind that high miles shouldn't be any more of a challenge for the petrol than the diesel.

That answers that then :))

One other question (hope it's not hijacking the thread), but has anyone done big miles with LPG?

The trouble with sussing the lpg reliability argument is there are so many variables - type of kit, condition of engine, quality of installation etc.
From what I understand the issues of valve seat burning and head recession come from not many people adjusting the valve clarances to suit the setup. This is why you see so many BMW / Land Rover engine running fine as they have hydraulic tappets :)

What is it like importing fro Bulgaria Silviu? There's so many "Romanian" cars driving around with Bulgarian plates I've often wondered how it's done without exporting / importing car from Romania to Bulgaria.
The reason Clive is because the insurance and taxes here cost nothing . I pay for my 80 around 140 euros insurance +70 euros taxes annualy.
And how is done? I register the car under my name, then I legaly transfer all liabilities to you and there you go....If you want to sell it you can do it yourself in BG. The document we sign includes that you can sell it to yourself or sell it to third party. Once a year you have to enter BG, pay taxes 1,3 BGN per KW or around 0.7 euros per KW. My 1HZ is 99KW so I pay less than 70 euros annualy. After you do that you have to do tech check/test. It takes 30 minutes and cost you 20 euros. In other words if its you from where you are all you have to do is get in the car on a work day get to Ruse, do the paper work(30-40 min.), do the tech test(30 min.), pay your insurance(10 min), have lunch and go home. That is all!:)

Last edited:
I did test drive this one and it is in very good condition. The price is around 8000 euro
http://www.mobile.bg/pcgi/mobile.cgi?topmenu=2&act=4&adv=21483518649981706&slink=1jwv44

I know the owner of this one
http://www.mobile.bg/pcgi/mobile.cgi?topmenu=2&act=4&adv=21479370648469853&slink=1jwv44
and I know how passionate he was in maintaining it. It is in top condition. Has brand new breaking system, radiator, all hoses replaced etc. All genuine parts. Asking price is approx 8500 eu.

They both are manual transmission as I don't like autos. The 80 is 1HZ (no turbo). The price of the 80 is a bit higher then what they sell for around here. A stock one is usually in the range of 6000 eu. I recomend you get a stock one without any mods and then build it the way you like.
Good luck finfing your dream cruiser!:)

Hi Silviu,
I own a 100 series V8 (275K on the clock) and in the 7 years I have had it my only real expense was a new starter motor (touch wood) The US will have lots of V8's for sale and you would also get a good buy on a LX470, same car with a better paint job and more sound proofing (also better spec)

The trouble with sussing the lpg reliability argument is there are so many variables - type of kit, condition of engine, quality of installation etc.
From what I understand the issues of valve seat burning and head recession come from not many people adjusting the valve clarances to suit the setup. This is why you see so many BMW / Land Rover engine running fine as they have hydraulic tappets :)

I've got a friend with his own LPG tank near Stamford and he has a couple of works vans and a Saab 9000 on gas, without any issues. He reckons that the technology now is much more reliable than in the past. I thought about it when I had a 4.7, maybe back then it wasn't the best time to do it.

Unless you want to limit yourself to very specific areas, LPG isn't a serious option for overlanding - the availability and infrastructure simply isn't there.

Now I don't consider myself an overlander but even a short trip around Western Europe can be a challenge with my 80l tank which only gives a 250 mile range.

WRT the valve seat issues some engines are better suited than others. I've now done 70k miles on LPG in my 5VZ-FE and have no issues at all. Still runs sweet as a nut on LPG or Petrol. If I had a petrol 100 or 80 I would be a lot more anxious if the proper maintenance and precautions hadn't been done.

Back