Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

WARNING - do NOT use Adrian Flux

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Heads up - I have sold my 120. Insurance was renewed with Adrian Flux 3 weeks ago. On cancelling today they want 50% of the premium to cancel. So it has cost me £175 for 3 week's insurance.

They 'waived' the £25 admin fee as 'a gesture of good will' and hope I will come back soon.

No letter confirming my extensive NCB until I pay up.

Ummm - no, don't hold your breath, Adrian Flux.

If its only 3 weeks old don't you have proof of NCB on your renewal documents ?

If you’ve complained to an insurance company and don’t feel you’ve been treated fairly, give the FOS a call: 0300 123 9 123 or 0800 023 4567. They will review the case and, if appropriate, take up the matter on your behalf.

Yup I have the renewal docs but a proper certificate is so much easier. Will be taking legal advice on this as I'm officially pissed off

I would say that's far from a reasonable pro-rata settlement - waiving the admin fee is a laughable gesture under the circumstances.

A quick complaint letter mentioning that an unsatisfactory resolution will result in a complaint to the FOS should see them change their tune. Even if found in their favour they'll still get charged far more than that by the FOS.

Last edited:
Gary, tell them you'll be writing a letter to the ombudsman.

If the ombudsman picks up a case they automatically charge the company £150 fee. If they find in your favour then they have to repay you as well.

Insurance companies normally cave when they hear this because it's not worth their hassle.

Huh, where did my reply go?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh well..

Gary, tell them you will be contacting the ombudsman. Any case picked up by them gets a £150 fee to the company. If they find in you favour then they have to pay you back. Regardless, it costs them £150.

For values like that it is often not worth their while so they just settle beforehand.

Of course if it's clearly in the T&Cs then it's harder to justify.

am i right you ar allow 14 days after the renewal date to cancel?

that is 14 days not 14 working days

gave up on Flux years ago, they used to insure my track car but after getting the run around I was informed by someone in the know about some of their "shady" admin practices

It helped that my cousins husband knows Mr Fux well so gave me the inside story lol

Last edited:
Flux ask me to call back if i got a better quote so i did and they managed to drop over 100 quid but still couldn't match best price . I said what about the club discount and the reply was "that's already been deducted" . Funny that as i hadn't mentioned any club .

This is interesting, as my renewal has just come through from them :think:

Cheeky buggers, - do as Crispin suggests, no doubt they will bleat "It`s not us, it`s the underwriters" They think they can make a quick buck for doing f all, but in fact the cretins do not realise they lose more in lost buisness. They are obviously idiots to ask you to come back soon.
As if you or any one else reading this would!!!. Keep on it Gary.

John

Huh, where did my reply go?

Ditto :wtf:

Even if it's in their T&Cs, if the FOS deems it to be unfair and disproportionate (which 50% premium for 3 weeks cover would almost certainly be) then that's that.

Last edited:
Yes ..... Law of Contract is "unfair terms" are not enforceable even if headlined in the T's and C's. There is probably case law on this type of condition. I would have thought 50% was unfair.

I have contacted FOS a few times and unlike gov departments you normally end up speaking to someone with authority to act from the outset . I'm inclined to think Ombudsmen work on behalf of the companies as well and they do have a very common sense approach . Might be worth calling them first for advice if you like , they don't need the work and a quick phone call to Flux from them will likely settle the matter at a stroke .

I've asked AF for a breakdown of the charge. Part of the issue may be I paid monthly but so what. Web is full of complaints about them I've since discovered.

Also believe that if you are unfortunate enough to have to lodge an accident claim your settlement journey is not a happy one.

As soon as I get their cost breakdown I'll be contacting FOS for advice.

In the meantime - caveat emptor !!

vanished.................like an old oak table

Back