Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Warrens new 100 build

warrenpfo

Having sold my March 53 100 series with 120k miles on the clock I have been in the market for a newer 100 series for some time. Between the wife selling me it has to be silver and me being uncertain as to what I wanted it has taken some time and many miles to find the right car.
Here is some background to the search.
Finally I can say the search is over and without further adjeu introduce you to my new (10 year old) 03 100 series TD.

Yes I know I just sold a 53 100 series and now have bought an 03 100 series BUT it’s an 03 and so comes with the 5spd auto box and not the 3spd with over drive.

After having spent many hours searching the net to the point where I thought I may have a problem and if work where to check my browsing history I’m sure I would get the sack as not 10min could go past without me refreshing eBay, Pistonhead, Gumtree and Pre-loved in the hope a new car had been listed…..it was quite sad.
Then on a lunch break I thought I will Google 4x4sales and up popped a site listing an 03 in silver for sale. I thought this is too good to be true and so dropped them an email to see if it was still about. The reply I got was mixed as it was still about but a number of people had booked viewings and with it being in Cornwall I did not hold out much hope.

She was listed at £23000 I decided to put a very well-crafted email together with an offer and see what happened.

I mentioned that the low mileage was not the attraction as we all know that mileage is not the Achilles heel but rather its general condition. I said that at the end of the day it was still a 10 year old car and based on that I would offer them £5k+ lower than the asking price.

I also said I did not expect to hear back from them but if in 2 month’s time they had not sold it then to remember my offer. That was last week Friday.

This week Wednesday I get a call to say thanks for the offer and that if I was happy to deal direct with the current owner then my offer would be accepted. Long storey short the current owner is the CEO of a well-known double glazing company and he drove the vehicle every other weekend when he was down at his coastal pad hence the amazingly low mileage of 25k.

The owner is good friends with the MD of the car sales place and they were doing him a favour by trying to help sell it but had not listed it on any of the usual sites apart from their own.
I made a call to a friend at Mr T and asked him to dig up anything he could on the car and he was able to provide the sales record and full service records for me so I knew the mileage and so the storey was legit and jumped on the next train I could today to head down there.

The trip was somewhat frustrating having to stand the whole way but on viewing it was all worth it.

She is in mint condition, no scratches, stone chips and the interior is like brand new. Underneath is also almost as good as new on the body but some of the exposed metal work has seen better days having been on the coast for so long but nothing I can’t sort out. The engine is almost brand new at 25k but it does have a steering wheel motor that has gone and needs 2 new front tyres.

The last MOT shown play in both front wheel bearings and slight play in a ball joint otherwise the exhaust mounting rods on the centre box may need to be replaced along with rear brake pads and that is it.

She drove faultlessly on the way home and am very happy and can’t wait to get to work on her with all the bits I have lying around.

Ill post pictures tomorrow and keep you updated on the build.

Last edited:
Well done Warren, that was a epic search... I think we all thought you were getting a little senile there for a while!

Sounds like a great find indeed.

Well done in securing a 100 series that ticks all your needs.

So, the out going 100 series was a "53" plate, and this is an "03" plate
SO what I read from this is that the "53" was standing unsold for a while, where as the "03" was sold pretty much right away?

Gra.

Great job Warren

Looking forward to the pics!!

Congratulations on a great find. Sounds like the best 03 you could ever get.

Ball joints at 25k ? That's more normal for 100k +. Maybe something ruprured the rubber some time in the past.
This one would be produced between 8/2002 and 7/2003 maybe? Is the ATM fluid T-IV or WS? - (how was that again?)

Anyhow, it sure sounds like a great vehicle.

Just one thing, that doesn't belong in this thread at all, but since we aim to be the best..... The 4-sp auto box and the 5-sp auto both have the top gear as an overdrive (i.e. the next-to-top gear is 1:1), so calling the 4-sp a 3-sp with OD is just the same as calling the 5-sp a 4-sp with OD. How you select to not use the top gear is physically different on the two, but inside the stick there is just a switch on both of them.
I've seen this 3+OD vs 5-sp mentioned in other threads here, so I thought I could mention it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done Warren! - I have to admire your perseverance and am so glad that it seems to have paid off. You seem to have found the rocking horse poo after all! :o:cool:

Right here are the obligatory pictures as she stands stock standard. The plate is not mine and is going back.

7988460423_8f86ba3377_z.jpg
7988470916_bfc335ceca_z.jpg
7988478988_cdc6650a56_z.jpg
7988482324_929450f0e6_z.jpg
7988486482_82a25207f0_z.jpg
7988482829_cf45bb8447_z.jpg
7988494448_7394786958_z.jpg
7988497120_a0c30e0559_z.jpg
7988494065_7ea93b28d5_z.jpg

As you can tell there is nothing too exciting going on but she is clean.

I seem to have picked up not only the car yesterday but also man flu and so as I lay hereon my death bed I can only think of the things I could be doing.
The only thing I managed to do so far was plug my Mr T machine in and stop the steering wheel from auto retracting on removing the key from the ignition to stop further wear on the motors and its not a feature I require.

7988491774_d0e4f734dd_z.jpg

Lastly I need to work out in what order to start doing things as the list is about as long as my arm. Under the tarp is:

• Front ARB Deluxe bumper
  • Rear ARB bumper with wheel swing out
  • ASFIR full under body plates
  • 2 x Numax 110AH batteries
  • Full OME suspension setup with torsion bars and uprated springs

7988497673_5c4cd8590f_z.jpg

In the shed is the following:

• 12k Winch with synthetic line
  • Sand grabber mats
  • Uprated main and dip beams
  • National Split charge setup
  • Enough Dinitrol to treat the whole of the underneath of the car
  • Uprated reverse lights
  • Parrot music setup so I can use my iPod. IPhone
  • ARB duel compressor
  • Fox wing awning

And a number of other things that slip my mind.

7988534725_c5799c1460_z.jpg

I will update with the list and its order as soon as I work it out for myself….

Last edited:
Having given it some thought it makes sense to tackle the underside of the vehicle first to put a stop to any further surface rust. With this in mind it may be best to remove the AHC suspension and install the OME kit as this will mean I can remove a lot of dead weight as well as a lot of pipework that would otherwise be in the way when trying to clean up underneath prior to spraying/painting the Dinitrol.

I know the ride quality will suffer with the uprated springs and torsion bars and no added weight but fingers crossed it won’t be for too long and if I do the front end first and the rear next and work my way in to the middle then I can get started on mounting the bull bar and wheel carrier as well as the winch.

There after I guess it’s what takes my fancy as the bulk of the big work will be done. Alongside this I will base line her for peace of mind with a complete fluid and filter change along with rear brake pads and sorting out the front wheel bearings. If i do have play in the lower ball joint canit just be nipped up?

Yes I know I just sold a 53 100 series and now have bought an 03 100 series BUT it’s an 03 and so comes with the 5spd auto box and not the 3spd with over drive.

Well done ! it leaves the field a bit clearer for me now!!!!!

Your comments about the box and years had me flummoxed for a bit - but the pics explain it. I associate later 2003 cars with the dogleg 5 spd box, earlier ones with the straight throw box with overdrive switch. There was a period in 2003 when both boxes were fitted (presumably dealer stock and time in stock played a part here) - but what you have done is sold a 53 plate with the overdrive switch box and found an 03 with the dogleg 5sp box.

I just need to find one myself now! Good luck.....and keep us posted with build progress.

Evening,

If you want to sell the original bumpers when you change over to the ARB ones would you please let me know, as I am just down the road from you and the would make my car look much tidier!

Thank you
Barry

Barry consider them yours if we can agree on price which im sure we can as I will have no need for them and would only have put them on eBay. Please keep in touch with me and drop me a note from time to time to remind me. Or just keep an eye on here as to progress.

According to the pics she looks like a jewel. Almost a pity turning her into an armored stallion.

it may be best to remove the AHC suspension and install the OME kit as this will mean I can remove a lot of dead weight as well as a lot of pipework that would otherwise be in the way when trying to clean up underneath prior to spraying/painting the Dinitrol.
Hi Warren,

Do you already have the alternative suspension in your possession?
Then if your mind is set to replace the AHC, then I would agree, that your suggestion to do it now, before the underbody treatment seems to make a lot of sense.
I really am not a fan of AHC, and feel Toyota should have made the 100 series with an option pack, ie, to either have AHC or coil springs.
OK, I know imports had coil springs, but if I was buying into a 100 series, and there was an option to have (out of the factory) AHC or standard coils, I know which I would be opting for.

Get over the flu soon, wishing you well.

Gra.

Do you already have the alternative suspension in your
Gra.

Graham

Everything I have mentioned is in my possession as it was bought to go on the last 100.

I also forgot to mention the diff drop kit, new windscreen squirter's and inverter. The plan is to build an overland prepped vehicle rather than a laning vehicle.

Thanks for the good wishes, I have not felt this rough in along time.:(

Well not much visible progress but I managed to install these as reverse lights which I got off eBay from these chaps

7992063143_e822ff099f_z.jpg

It’s an easy process, drop the tail gate and undo these two screws circled in red

7992076960_9ccd5008ff_z.jpg

Then very carefully pull the whole light cluster in the direction of the arrows to release the 2 lugs marked in green

7992069351_1c7185a842_z.jpg

You can see the lugs circled in red and the reverse light in green

7992074391_64b65211aa_z.jpg

Next remove the reverse light by twisting anti clockwise, it looks like this when out
7992088934_6222baeb14_z.jpg

Pull to remove the bulb and replace with the new led.

7992092828_6189369fff_z.jpg

Then reverse the process to install the cluster.

Next was to replace the washer jets to the 3 nozzle type to give a better spray on the screen. Another simple job but I took some pictures to explain.
Lift the bonnet, locate the washer jets from the inside, they look like this

7992097870_eb466eb798_z.jpg

Pull down with some force but controlled to remove the rubber hose that feeds the water to the jet

7992100752_627ac70168_z.jpg

If you look up at the bottom of the jet you will see it has 2 plastic lugs that hold it in.

7992096369_2b3581215f_z.jpg

With the flat blade of a screw driver lever the one side in and as the same time with your nail pull the nozzle up from the top of the bonnet.

7992098881_3996c8e3a8_z.jpg
7992111238_3d228bdab0_z.jpg

Next rock the washer jet from side to side and it will pop out. You can see the clip clearly in the photo.
7992104371_6dcb6ae63a_z.jpg

Give it a good clean and push down the new washer jet until you hear it “click” in.
7992117700_85b4359fa4_z.jpg
7992111009_0024a6e671_z.jpg

Then just push the rubber hose back on and job done.

Lastly here is a picture comparing the two jets and you can see the extra jet.

7992134361_cd208a582b_z.jpg

After this I got the rear end up on jack stands and removed both rear callipers and discs to do a rebuild and service of the brakes just to make sure the brakes are up to scratch.

Next is to drop Simon at Mr T an email with a parts order and fingers crossed I can get them done during the week.

I also managed to spray all the bolts and torsion bars with WD40 and will repeat each day this week to help with the removal of the AHC system this coming weekend. Any free hands welcome.:lol:

So much for the man flu eh?

Didn't we just all know you would be out on the new toy regardless.

Gra.

.I really am not a fan of AHC, and feel Toyota should have made the 100 series with an option pack, ie, to either have AHC or coil springs.
Erm, they did, Graham - the 100 GX;)

Apologies for the slight digression, Warren! The new truck looks great - just seen this thread and the good news, so many congrats! It certainly looks extremely clean and I'm sure it will get better and better as you add that mountain of goodies to it! :D

Barry consider them yours if we can agree on price which im sure we can as I will have no need for them and would only have put them on eBay. Please keep in touch with me and drop me a note from time to time to remind me. Or just keep an eye on here as to progress.

That would be great thanks Warren.
On the ARB bumpers, my previous one of these had one on it and the powder coating started to rust on the rear one from below the surface, when I complained to the supplying party (from down west) they said not an issue that can be fixed, live with it! It was the loose bolt on side sections, so not sure why this would have happened but keep an eye on it. the one thing that spoilt a great product.
:thumbdown:

Back