Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Washer Check Valve

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys noticed a leak from the headlight washer check valve recently after leaking on the floor after fill ups.
Any idea on a OEM replacement or would one fit from another car model?

Any experiences welcome.....thank you

IMG_3302.jpg

I managed to get one from a BMW but only because a mate had a spare handy. When the other one failed, I got one from Mr T. It was expensive, but I didn't have much option at the time. You could get one from Karl @ Landcruiser parts, or Garry at 80 Breaker. Postage would be next to nothing. Buy a pair, the other side is just as likely to leak soon.

It's not something you can fix, I had mine apart, but you effectively break them opening them up. It's also unique for the purpose, it's not a valve as such, but as you described, a pressure sensitive check valve to stop the siphon.

Last edited:
Can't see any reason why that one wouldn't work. At £4.99 I think I'd risk it and give it a shot.

Can't see any reason why that one wouldn't work. At £4.99 I think I'd risk it and give it a shot.

Jeez, I think Mr T has a problem getting his decimal points in the right place. That link looks identical to the one I bought off him :angry-screaming:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Finally arrived from the United States washer valves. The one on the left was from Ebay that was a failed attempt to find an alternative. Ordered two for $73 & fitted today.

OverstockOEMParts.com

Bought two thanks Clive for your wise advice

IMG_3647.jpg

Last edited:
Good that it's sorted Dervis. I tried all sorts of ways to get around this problem, but there aren't any. You didn't do so bad price-wise.

guys, can you say what is the hole for? not knowing this was a check valve, i saw mine leaking there and sealed it with epoxy :)

now reading this here...i am wondering if that was a good idea. it has stopped the leaking thou lol....

Hi, its like a check valve. Internally flowing one way and because of this emptied out the washer fluid of it being gravity feed. Does your front headlight jets work still?

Hi, its like a check valve. Internally flowing one way and because of this emptied out the washer fluid of it being gravity feed. Does your front headlight jets work still?

Doubt they will still work. It must be some sort of pressure relief valve. Closes when internal static pressure head is around that of a full washer fluid tank, but opens when the pump runs and increases internal head.

Doubt they will still work. It must be some sort of pressure relief valve. Closes when internal static pressure head is around that of a full washer fluid tank, but opens when the pump runs and increases internal head.
Saying that though, it doesn’t explain why it leaks when it fails. Should either flow or not flow. Unless the failure is a diaphragm perish/tear problem.
My 80 has this issue too. Also had bad washer fluid tank seals. Replaced them and it still leaked. Have just blanked off the headlight washer pump outlet for now...

Yes, Richard tried to find a cheap alternative replacement but the issue with the LandCruiser 80 model that I've noticed is the fact that parts are specific to only this vehicle and not universal used with other makes or models. TBH I didn't really use the front headlight washes much at all and yet could have blanked it the piping to stop the gravity feed leak but chose to get 2 items replacements. One changed upon delivery and the other a year or so later on the other side.

Back