Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Water directed straight up onto the windscreen..

Bert

Country Flag
great_britain
This is an odd little niggle of mine. Does everybody else's Colorado or Prado have issues with water being ejected straight up onto the windscreen completely obscuring the view when going through large puddles? Any time I'm approaching one, I now switch on my wipers before I hit it, but I was wondering if anyone experiences the same issue and has found a solution to this?

Same with every 4x4 I've ever had Bert, the wider the tyres, the more comes over the windscreen too. My missus goes nuts at me every time which obviously brings out the child in me and I actively go looking for even bigger puddles :icon-biggrin:

Every time in every 4x4 I've owned too. There's two easy ways to stop it though.
Go slowly or avoid puddles. :shifty:
But where's the fun in that? :lol:
I've actually wondered myself how it manages to direct the water around the wings onto the windscreen so consistently and effectively.

Every time in every 4x4 I've owned too. There's two easy ways to stop it though.
Go slowly or avoid puddles. :shifty:
But where's the fun in that? :lol:
I've actually wondered myself how it manages to direct the water around the wings onto the windscreen so consistently and effectively.
I'm in full agreement with you and Ian on this. If there's a puddle (that you know doesn't drop off into nothingness obviously) then it has to be gone through. It's great fun. Although a precautionary note, I once did this in an old estate and the force of the water pulled off my back box!

ME is the same.

I run with 305s and it's much more noticeable than with narrower tyres, but it still happens.

You can reduce the effect by using (flexible) mud flaps attached to the front panel in front of the front wheels, but they're unsightly and much more prone to being ripped off when off-roading.

I don't think anyone manufactures them either, so you'd have to make your own.

Just enjoy the fun and wash the truck more often afterwards. :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And another thing...

A guy from ATS once told me (and I don't really doubt it) that most stones that hit your windscreen come from your own wheels.

Of course I argued with him at first, but he reckons that the front wheels tend to pick stones up (momentarily stuck in the tread) and then the stone is released by centripetal force.

Often it gets released as the part of the tyre holding it is on the down stroke at the front of the wheel, then the stone hits the road in front of your car and bounces up.

You then drive into it, cracking your screen in the process.

Feel a bit like Michael Caine now, must be time for a cuppa.

And another thing...

A guy from ATS once told me (and I don't really doubt it) that most stones that hit your windscreen come from your own wheels.

Of course I argued with him at first, but he reckons that the front wheels tend to pick stones up (momentarily stuck in the tread) and then the stone is released by centripetal force.

Often it gets released as the part of the tyre holding it is on the down stroke at the front of the wheel, then the stone hits the road in front of your car and bounces up.

You then drive into it, cracking your screen in the process.

Feel a bit like Michael Caine now, must be time for a cuppa.

If this is true how come I have only had stuff hit my windscreen when I am following behind a vehicle or when something is coming the other way never has anything ever hit me when I am driving along a road with no other traffic ?

If this is true how come I have only had stuff hit my windscreen when I am following behind a vehicle or when something is coming the other way never has anything ever hit me when I am driving along a road with no other traffic ?

Dunno.

This happens with all 4x4's I've been in but don't have too much rain here to worry about it occurring often.

Happens plenty with me too but mainly because I have a good 50mm of tyre sticking out. I don't think it was too bad on stock wheels and offset. Wipers don't seem to help too much when it occurs

Back