Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Waterproofing a Petrol 1FZ

David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
This morning going down to my unit after all the rain last night the lane floods in a few places only to about a foot deep at most. So as normal I just drove though them at my normal speed, not thinking I was in a petrol well it came out the other side ok but then a little ways down the road it lost a couple of cylinders and much spluttering for a short while then it came back to running ok.
When I got to the unit I gave it a good spray with WD40 on the HT leads and components, that was all I could think of for now any better suggestions greatly appceated
Thanks David

I’d look at the quality/fit of the boots on the HT leads and maybe replace them if they don’t give a reasonably tight fit? I’d also use either ACF50 or Corrosion Block instead of WD40. The speedo on my dirt bike uses a stupid little 2 pin plug connector on the front brake calliper and CB is the only stuff a I’ve used that keeps it working even when it’s axle deep in liquid mud. It’s also available in a grease. In fact I’ve treated every connector on the bike and many on the LC and really rate the stuff.

I was going to renew all the leads and and distributor cap very soon and use dielectric grease on them should help a bit I think

Does the petrol 80 have the radiator blind like the diesels? I've read that it's intended more for wading to prevent a surge of water through the rad to be blown over the engine by the fan rather than aiding engine warm up in Winter.

I find Servisol dielectric silicone grease is also good for plugs/connectors. It's quite thick and tacky and stays put.

Don't think so and I don't think my diesel 80 does

The fan throws water into the distributor, there are 3 holes in it, I think for breather holes. You can see 2 of them with the distributor fitted, they are on the back facing the cylinder head, the other is underneath.

I have blocked 2 of mine up and run a 6mm pipe from the 3rd right to the back of the rocker under the spark plug cover plastic as the new breather.

Also fitted trays under the bumper and radiator, and a blind that can cover the grille, these stop the water running through the radiator and hitting the fan and there is no more spray inside the engine bay.

After doing that I have had no more misfire issues when I have had to do wading.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pretty much what Richard says with the dizzy, decent leads too, if one is iffy it'll cause a misfire pretty quickly when it's damp. I'm running magnecor leads.

Make sure the cover is fitted below the rad (above the steering linkage)

I don't have a blind for the grille and have had water at bonnet level (bow wave) only had the odd splutter when its dropped a cylinder.

Can move the coil but its never given me an issue

Back