Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Weak points on an 80 series

Balsan

Country Flag
netherlands
Hi there,

Coming week I will be looking to an 80 series of 1995. Ex firefighting department vehicle with only 99.600 KM on odo.

Although the car looks in extremely good shape, and all Toyota Service records are available (full history), my question is if there are very specific things I should be looking at. I am NOT a car mechanic so please share your tips for specific weaknesses on the type of LC that I should check for.

Thanks in Advance
Andre

Some Pictures of the vehicle I will be looking at.

136795739-medium.jpg 136795747-medium.jpg 136795755-medium.jpg 136795761-medium.jpg 136795771-medium.jpg

I am by no means an expert. It looks very clean and tidy. You need to check for rust and that everything works. It may have a perfect service history and have been looked after and able to do a supermarket/ school run for the next twenty odd years happily. But that is not the same as driving it to/around Africa.
It certainly looks like a good place to start off though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bloody hell. 24k eur is quite a lot. Thats the best part of 50% original retail price just there.

The truck looks very nice. But its got to quite a thing to call in 24k eur.

Looks like a clean example being rare. €24,000 Wow that seems a lot.
Also spec other than condition is important to consider. This looks like the non turbo indirect injection model. Would suggest a good drive to see if your happy with the power of the drivetrain.

Good luck

Bloody hell. 24k eur is quite a lot. Thats the best part of 50% original retail price just there.

The truck looks very nice. But its got to quite a thing to call in 24k eur.

Yes I agree, its quite some price and I will take it for a testdrive, including some Off-road sand tracks that are nearby the sellers garage. I als have to take into account that I will need money for all the modifications that I need.

Also looking a lot in Germany, prices seem lower there.

The "Mod part" will probably take a few years to complete spreading my spend

Looks like a clean example being rare. €24,000 Wow that seems a lot.
Also spec other than condition is important to consider. This looks like the non turbo indirect injection model. Would suggest a good drive to see if your happy with the power of the drivetrain.

Good luck

It is indeed a non turbo model, I drove the same engine in a 78 model in Africa without turbo. Plenty of power off road. On Road no hurry for me, 100km per hours is nicely cruising.

Rust is the main problem as it is hard to stop once it gets hold, take your time and have a good check

Its in very good condition body wise but its the VERY basic version the same as the UN use, 24k seems a lot for a old 8o and in such basic trim.

Looks similar to that belonging to @clivehorridge. Good solid truck that shouldn't let you down. Euro spec and as it's from the fire department it will have been well looked after and not had a hard life but €24000 :scared-eek: is horrendous money probably even for Europe where prices are higher than UK.

I expect it will be mint underneath but €24,000???

@Balsan get the VIN off the truck. I suspect you will be able to get a lot of info off that. That bar in front does not look like something toyota did.

If it's ex fire dept I suspect it will have been maintained to the highest standard and stored under cover when not in use so should be one of the best available. Opinions on the price all depends how much you want one of course. Good luck with the prospective purchase:thumbup:

Thanks for the responses so far, I have now also started looking at 100 Series and found a few around 16000 Euro with around 250000KM's on odo, and they are from 1999 until 2001. Leaves me with more budget to spend on the mods. Ill be spending some visits to the cars and do some test drives first. I agree that 24K Euro is pretty expensive for this very basic model.

Will get back once I have more news.

@Balsan get the VIN off the truck. I suspect you will be able to get a lot of info off that. That bar in front does not look like something toyota did.

No, I suspect that is a modification requested from the fire department, and done by a local company. I will check it out!

I heard my name....

It's an HZJ with the same ambulance doors as mine and at 100k km it will be like new mechanically, I'd guess, and it does look like new condition jenerally, it's a very good example of that model.

It doesn't seem to have axle diff lockers though, I don't know if that's important to you.

The interior looks sparse as mine does, but it will be adequate.

However, as said, €24k is a humongous price, even if it's new underneath. If it's lived its life in Holland, then it will have suffered winters, but as Richard said, the fire service would have looked after it mechanically.

I paid €8 k for mine when it was 11 years old and had 212 k km on the clock, but it was mechanically neglected. I've replaced the starter, the alternater, batteries, clutch, radiator, and had the steering box and front axle rebuilt twice in the 11 years I've owned it and it's close to 400k km at the moment. In all that, I'm sure I haven't even got close to €16k let alone €24k.

This is a tough call because I don't know the prices in your area, but first reaction is it's too much. €16k would make me wince, but at least it looks quite mint in condition.

The 1HZ engine has no turbo and very few electronics, it's a tractor engine that will go to 1,000,000 km if maintained well. It drives like a slug compared with the turbo 1HD, but it's got loads of torque, and it's unstoppable.

What else can I say, it is a beauty, by the look of it.

If there's a rust problem, it will likely be at the rear Elsa of the sills, in front of the back wheels, and/or behind the back wheels in the wells at the bottom of the rear pillars, at the bumper corners.

This one looks like it's never been out in the rain though. :lol:

Back