Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wearing 2 hats..

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi all

My first post in the 90 section.. I acquired (legally) a 90 series import from Japan this week and will be picking the truck up on Saturday. It's quite a gem with just 64k miles on it. It's for a friend so not for me to keep [still an 80s man at heart] but I was wondering if there were any major items one should check first like the BEB's on an 80?
From what I've heard there isn't anything but I wanted to know before I go through he items on the stickies page

Aside from that, I'll be doing the standard overlanding mods over the coming months so keep the eBay specials updated! Found a roof tent for just £600 in Staffordshire. It's even cheaper than the Terrain?!

Thanks a lot
Will post pics once I get it and can do a proper check up..

Cheers
Matt

Such a shame that no one went to the trouble of having a section sticky all about the 90. FAQs, service tips, hints and common issues. Ahh well.

No, wait, hang on. Can it be true :doh:

Come on Matt. You have to be better than that. Or did the Lincomb sun get to you? You're gonna hate yourself in the morning. You know it.

C

:D I have checked the stickies page, first place I looked - it just doesn't specify burning issues?
Ok, I;ll just go read it all then :)
Looking forward to fetching her! Oh if it'd just been 1 week earlier.... :violin:

Well of course, there are always OTHER forums. :whistle:

Pretty solid vehicle the 90. Early 1KZTE engines prone to heads cracking - more on the auto though. Rear lockers pack up. Clock loses about 1 second every 9 months. Other than this, there isn't much that stops them. If they look straight, feel straight, they usually are.

Chris

Good idea to do a rad check on them too. Just like the 80.

C

Matt Wright said:
I acquired (legally) a 90 series import from Japan this week and will be picking the truck up on Saturday
Well done dude - does that mean the 'other project' is on hold?? :whistle:

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the Rad on a Auto 90-series can cause problems if it hasn't been serviced with proper coolant.
the autobox cooler inside the bottom of the rad can corrode and mix coolant with ATF

so often recommended to replaced them after 10yrs etc

Thanks Andy and Chris, will go downstairs now and start poking..
She goes straight as an arrow, just looks a bit like a skateboard without some proper tires on her! * watch the space *

In other news. I am the proud new owner of an(other) 80.. Fetching her on Saturday :) :dance: :dance: :dance:

Matt Wright said:
In other news. I am the proud new owner of an(other) 80.. Fetching her on Saturday :) :dance: :dance: :dance:

Nice one.

A 90 and an 80, now your just being greedy!! :twisted: :mrgreen: (Plus old faithful back in SA). Seriously, well done Matt, you have been a busy boy! I look forward to seeing the pictures.

did anyone mention the handbrake? should work fine until you go off road for the fist time

Scott said:
A 90 and an 80, now your just being greedy!! :twisted: :mrgreen: (Plus old faithful back in SA). Seriously, well done Matt, you have been a busy boy! I look forward to seeing the pictures.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Saturday 2pm and counting.. Pics to follow..
Not neeeearly as tidy as yours Scott but we can dream hey :)

Never mind the hats, it's raining oil

Well, it all seems to have gone a bit Pete Tong this afternoon. Got a call from Matt who'd been delayed getting out of London. Picked up his new wheels and was near Stoke when he rang. I listened to the noise of the engine over the phone and it was rattly. Sounded like a cam lobe to me as though a shim was missing. Not saying it was, just that's what it sounded like. Matt said it drove fine. He said he'd keep the speed down and was headed for Matt Savage's place.

Not long after, he rang again. The tapping noise had stopped. Then it went a bit 'wobbly' and then he pulled over. It seems to have spewed the engine oil all over the road. The engine was still running and there were no holes in the block. Filter still in place but oil absolutely everywhere. A call was made to the big yellow truck company. Plan 12b was to get to Matt's Garage and then I'd pick him up, feed him and get him on a train to London. Matt said that his phone was low and not charging!!

All went very quiet.

Had a call just now, the AA are there with the flatbed. it looks as though the head gasket has gone. That's probably not all of the trouble, but there is definitely a gap in the joint betwixt head and block. So, he's going to be on his way pretty soon. Not a good start, but at least he's near to Karl for bits. :thumbup:

Good news is that Matt says the rest of the truck is spanking.

EDIT. Just text'd WRONG RECOVERY TRUCK!!!!

Chris

Matt just rang me for Julian V's contact details, so maybe he's heading there?

Nope. Coming here. Looks like I have a guest for breakfast.

Chris

Oh bugger, and I was looking forward to some nice pics. I hope it all turns out ok in the end. Does it look like you have a poorly Toyota to tinker with in the morning Chris?

Regards to Matt.

What and drip oil all over MY drive!

C

Pic(s) of Ruby on the tow trailer to follow soon as I'm home. I was too busy organising stuff and saving cellphone battery to take any early on, and then it got dark!

On the plus side, spent the morning cruising around the woods with Chris which was awesome!
Now on space rocket style fast train back to Slumdon..

Is this the 90 or the 80? :? Doesn't sound good, Matt - hope it's nothing too disastrous!

Back