Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Weird brake issue

Kevin Hull

My 96 did something odd. We were on a dirt road coming down a hill with lots of washboard in the road. The ABS light comes on and was on for many miles. This is pretty common with all the washboard on the road. At one point the brakes felt spongy, much like they feel when you're out of brake fluid. Brakes still worked. I checked the master cylinder and it wasn't low. I checked all 4 caliper areas and no sign of leak. It felt like the rear brakes were working but not the front, though I cannot confirm that. I'd try to slam the brakes at about 20-25 mph but didn't feel the ABS pulse. On a hunch, I turned off the Cruiser and back on. (This always resets the ABS light). After the ABS light went out, the brakes felt normal again. This has never happened to me before. Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Something similar happened to mine at no miles an hour in a traffic jam returning from a week in Romania , it was only an instant so hard to describe but it was like one click of the abs turned the brakes off on one side of the truck . I couldn't cause it to happen again .

Sending all 4 calipers to Big Red for a rebuild was on my to do list anyway and because i hated the abs on my 90 before the Big Red rebuild i trust it will cure the problem this time too .

Back