Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Weird Fuelling Problem With 2.4TD LJ70

Yorkshire Devil

I'm having a weird problem with my LJ70 Land Cruiser 2.4TD running on BIODIESEL.

Last week I started getting power loss when going up hills @ around 3000rpm. The it would not rev past 3000rpm even when stationary. I replaced the main filter and the clear inline one I have before the main filter, used some injector cleaner and all appeared ok. The power was instantly back and it was away no problems
at all.

The problem has now returned when I'm heavily accelerating up a hill the power loss is instant. One thing I have noticed from the inline
filter is there is bubbles coming from the fuel lines which go back to the tank. I removed the inline filter suspecting that might be at fault as the main
filter is also brand new (4 days old) and the power is back to normal, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe its the fuel pickup pipe? As the bubbles are entering the filter. Just clutching at straws as all appears ok for now. Will give it a good blast out again tomorrow
to try and replicate,

They tend to rot around top of the tank. Do they have a filter on the pic up pipe like the 80s?

I can almost guarantee it will be the fuel pick up pipe on top of the tank has corroded and has a hole in it. Its a common fault but unfortunately it means removing the tank to fit a new one which can be a pain if youve just filled it up?

Yes there is a mesh strainer on the pick up pipe and its the same job (tank off) to check it.

I dont think you can buy them anymore. Only chance i a second hand one but with the common issue hmmmmm. May be a case of braizing new pipes in yourself.Im sure you can get to the top of the tank from under the carpet in the rear. May be rong though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A quick test for you to try. Put a can of diesel underthe engine bay with a fuel feed from it to the pump. Remember to put the return into the diesel can. Prime it up then start it.If it runs as it should obviously a problem tank end. If you still have a issue it could well be the injection pump or filter housing letting air in. To check filter housing put feed straight from the fuel can to the pump.

As far as I know you can still get the part from Toyota. I did mine about 4 years ago and it was about £35 iirc. Dropping the tank is pretty easy, just disconnect all the fuel lines and filler neck, remove the fuel level sender front the hole under the carpet in the boot (noting which way round it was when you remove it) put a jack under the tank to support it and undo the 2 bolts holding the front of the tank straps and it should drop out.

EDIT: Toyota part no: 77240‑60320 - TUBE SUB-ASSY, FUEL TANK SUCTION

Last edited:
The part code for the lj70 1992 pipe is 77240-60220 but the dealer is unsure if the difference in 77240-60320 part. Does anyone on here know the difference? Price difference is 60p!!!

According to the EPC its 77240-60220 for the LJ70 (2LT), the other number is for a KZJ70. Its a bit weird though as the diagrams are exactly the same and so are the fuel tanks!? :s

But if the parts were the same Toyota would be able to tell wouldnt they? They cant confirm what the difference is. So annoying.

Back