Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Well thats that then, the end of the V8 Landcruiser

Sad but in the UK they could never compete against land-rover. I wonder if / when the 150 will follow suit. There are so few on the roads here. Purely a status thing. :(

looks like the 150 will be the only Land Cruiser left, after the 70 and the 200 bite the dust

maybe sales in Africa and Australia will keep the 150 going tho'
a choice of newer engines would help the 150 range i think

a 3.0 litre V6 diesel would be nice ;)

Is it just uK where they are not selling it anymore or globally ?

I think it's just the UK. New model in SA now.

I think it's most of Europe. Russia and Morocco are the closest places I know that still sell them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My boss bought a 200 V8 diesel 2 years ago here, no idea if they're still going to be available.

My boss bought a 200 V8 diesel 2 years ago here, no idea if they're still going to be available.
No longer listed in Romania. I'm guessing the 2015 model needs EU type approval and Mr T isn't going to do it.

They're still very common in South Africa (and other parts of Africa) and Australia for reasons, I guess, the Land Cruiser is famous. but in Europe they did not crack the market / too expensive. Ireland has a lot of newer LCs but mostly the commercial ones.

I guess people here, the UK at least, who have the money for something like a 150 or 200 rather go for the Discovery / RangeRover types as they're seen as more prestigious. Reliability is not a problem when you have a town 5 miles away and breakdown assistance just around the corner.

The LC 200 is still selling just fine in Africa. Toyota Gibraltar, the NGO arm of Toyota lists the GX and GXR 200 series for sale as well as the Prado and various 70 series models. You can get the 200 in V8 TTD as well as a petrol version. The only shame is they don't sell the 70 series with the single turbo V8, only comes in the seriously underpowered 1HZ or V6 petrol.

There are a few 2016 model 200's on sale in the UK too. For export only. But how did they get here in the first place.

ITs been on the Toyota site for a few weeks now, but no one has mentioned it on here.
Toyota no longer make the LC200 V8 Diesel.
Its the end of a era :(

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/land-cruiser-v8/land-cruiser-v8-story.json

They do still make it, its just been dropped from the UK range due to poor sales. :)

The 200 still has a few years to run on its model cycle before its due to be phased out. Its almost certain Toyota will be replacing the 200 and 150 Prado when the time comes.

The 70 on the other hand has a very uncertain future. :icon-cry:

The current VDJ70 line up will be phased out within the next year and its very unclear as to whether it will be replaced!

Normally Toyota would have been drip feeding little snippets of info about the new model by now to the media, but so far there has been nothing. :?

Theres clearly a global market for the 70, especially with LandRover killing off the Defender and Nissan killing off the Y61 Patrol, so fingers crossed! :pray:

In a similar vein, and I think possibly the answer is in the comments section from the point of view of what are Toyota doing next, this was on the Autocar website:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/new-cars/opinion-what-new-land-rover-defender-must-beat

The problem for both LR and Toyota is that basic, robust vehicles don't make money - it's a lot easier to make a big fancy thing with lots of gadgets and gizmo's that people will pay a healthy premium for. In part this is why FIAT haemorrhage money - the cost to make a Panda isn't dissimilar to making a Mercedes S-Class, but nobody wants to pay S-class prices for a Panda, and as all FIAT really make are small cars, they are always in a bit of a problem. Extending that, if you want to make money I remember reading the break even point for a mass manufacturer was over 500,000 cars per year; this is why SAAB went kaput (as well as being screwed over by GM) Now that this is well known, and certain markets are targeted due to their massive growth (think China and India) opportunities, manufacturers are shifting their product ranges to match - some companies are presenting a premium range for those markets (Volvo for example) whilst others are re-hashing discontinued products that have amortised all their development costs (VW and PSA)

But how is that relevant to the fate of the Land Cruiser? Well, to amortise the development costs of a new vehicle the volumes have to be kept pretty low, and if that isn't managed then there has to be scope to sell a lot to make it cheaper. Realistically the development costs and costs of production lines can be recouped in about 4 years of production, and after that it becomes a much more profitable line (depending on costs and volumes) - this then begs the question as to why 70 series and G-wagens are so expensive!

Lastly, don't forget how much things have grown - my 4Runner is not that old (24 years old) but a current generation Xtrail (I know... a Nissan...) is about the same size as it, and is beginning to dwarf an 80 series...
4Runner: 4.49m long, 1.68m wide, 1.679 tall
X-Trail: 4.64m long, 1.82m wide, 1.709m tall
80 Series (no flares): 4.82m long, 1.83m wide, 1.785 tall
200 series: 4.95m, 1.97m, 1.88m

Based on the assumption that every new version is going to be bigger and better, how big would a 300 series end up?!

For me the ideal size vehicle is about 4.75m long, 1.8m wide and 1.75m tall (I can still load the roof easily then) but with decent clearance and a 3.5 litre diesel engine (like the B-series or P-series Toyota engines)... also know as a BJ73 or PZJ73 Land Cruiser!

Disposable cars digitally programmed to break down are more profitable its as simple as that but let's pretend its all about saving the planet .

Disposable cars digitally programmed to break down are more profitable its as simple as that but let's pretend its all about saving the planet .

I was at a conference once talking to someone about the merits of hybrids vs old clunkers... I think we worked out that potentially the old clunker is a better bet for the environment and the economy.... Or at least that's what I use to justify my 20mpg 4Runer...

I vaguely remember greenpeace or some such making a fuss along the lines of - producing a car causes more pollution than a 30 year old Landrover driven daily could produce in its lifetime .

It was possibly 20 years ago so memory fails me but that was the jist of it .

I have heard this story before as well...

It was however comparing todays manufacturing with all the plastic and electrics etc to a 20 yr old car (not sure what the sample size was ).

Of course German produced V8 4X4's just sail through all the treehugger legislation :think: funny that .

Happy me that I can drive one of these 200 D4D V8

P1080660.JPG

Back