Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What 3 Words

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Anyone heard of this, or even use it ? It would appear that someone has electronically mapped the surface of the earth into 3x3m grid squares, and then used a bank of 25,000 unique words to identify each individual square using just three of them.

What's the point I hear you say, well my village has 11 houses, just 2 postcodes and most houses have no numbers which makes ad-hoc delivery quite difficult; yet one unique phrase identifies my front door :thumbup:

To achieve the same accuracy using Lat/Long requires a string of 16 numbers. Further, large parts of the world don't even have postcodes, numbers or even street names; but using this system a simple identifier can be generated and communicated for any point on the earth's surface.

I think it's very clever, have a look HERE

calms.abstracts.glows anyone :thumbup:

Last edited:
Wow, that's very very clever

Wow, that's very very clever

It is indeed.

So if I said I once got stuck in a puppeteers.lamb.helper you'd now know exactly where I was :icon-biggrin:

yeah the feche feche is pretty bad there

triumphing.husbands.hothead is a nice wild camp spot

Mine was

Aim.Missile.Here

Mother in Laws was Stop.Your.Yapping

It's very good isn't it.

Very impressive. I qualified in digital maps and worked on a postcode project with the Irish Government before we were undercut by another company. It was a complex process and yet this is blindingly simple.. if only we had thought of it! Of course it's not as computer brain friendly as co-ordinates but I do like it. Of the squares covering mine, I like psychic peanut pram...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is really quite neat and simple… like it. [emoji4]

my wife hates the coordinates of our home address :
volume.embraced.bottom :icon-biggrin:

btw: land.cruiser.country is in Brazil...

Last edited:
oops,slight mistake, 'volume.embraced.bottom' is at the neighbours.
ours is 'ruffle.cosmetic.fault'
it all makes sense......
:whistle:

Down the back of our workshop is a jeep.coding.keyboard
Who'd of thought.

I'm at lamps.wackiness.chickpeas, if anyone wants to pop-in for a cuppa.

I was looking round to see where other members were.

Chas is at 'Mind. That. Lampost'

Andy is at 'Best. For. Potatoes' which is interesting.

Crispin was 'Send. My. Calendar'

Trev can be found at 'Fix. That. Truck'

And Gary was 'Eat. My. Dust' Not sure why.

not sure you've grasped this simple concept correctly

sounds similar to 3d printing in my book. potentially very clever but not really needed. think when was the last time you needed to give someone your lat/long? Most smart phones have a send location app so it becomes even more redundant and lacks the logic of lat long. if I say my position is 54.30.0N 0W and you say mine is 54.20.0N 0W I know I only have to travel 10 miles due south to find you! I wonder how the NDA view it! maybe my under achieving brain missed something apart from 'gimmick'

I do not believe it. Just looked where Shayne lives and it's 'apply.brakes.harder'

No way!

Ha ha, excellent. Or 'first.you.go'

sounds similar to 3d printing in my book. potentially very clever but not really needed. think when was the last time you needed to give someone your lat/long? Most smart phones have a send location app so it becomes even more redundant and lacks the logic of lat long. if I say my position is 54.30.0N 0W and you say mine is 54.20.0N 0W I know I only have to travel 10 miles due south to find you! I wonder how the NDA view it! maybe my under achieving brain missed something apart from 'gimmick'

I don't expect the Nigerian Defense Agency (NDA) like it very much at all ;)

I have to say that in the intro they say something like normal addresses simply aren't good enough for everyday life. At which point I found myself thinking, really? I actually think that for regular addresses with a post box, what we have works very well. The entire property has one address. Now my place isn't massive but chapped into 3m tiles I'd probably have something like 40 locations. So is my address the end of the drive by the road or the tree in the back garden?

But I can see it being neat for places where there isn't a physical address. Handy maybe for finding your lobster pots. I do think the concept is very intriguing, but like others have to wonder just how much it will change my life. If I take an envelope, put a stamp on it and send it to camel.apple.curtains would it get there? I know if I put Santa.north.pole it most definitely would! Maybe it's not such a new idea after all ....

Back