Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What a mistake that was ! Advice to come back required !

Paulpen

Garage
Country Flag
uk
After having had many a vehicle and finally finding my true dream one (having learnt about Toyotas by owning a Hilux Surf) I had to sell the love of my life the 95 Prado having just brought a house and sold my track car.

The start of this year however puts us in a better position and having aquired an E53 X5 4.8 as payment for money I was owed and then repeatedly fixing the thing im now in a D40 Navara due to needing something practical and sharpish I now yearn for the simplicity and reliability of a Toyota again :(

I am now in slightly different circumstances so the need list is a tad different although id have my Prado back in an instant :(

Im after :
Something that is almost faultlessly reliable (hence coming back here)
MPG is not an issue as my daily commute is sub 10 miles with maybe a 20 mile trip once a week and 150 mile plus once a month. When I do go on a long run though id like to be able to sit at 80ish in relative comfort and not be deafened by road noise etc
Id love to be back in a setup with climate control, double din head unit (so I can add a reverse cam and dvd player) and a large boot to accomodate the odd large dog, some tools and maybe the odd bale of hay.
And finally id like it to be able to fix it and maintain it myself if possible.

Not that many demands eh !. The hard part is what series to go for that will fit the needs so after this long winded essay im asking for owner experience and input really ! Ill give my impressions but having only owned and driven a non D4D 95 im sure alot of my beliefs are wrong !

95 - Id have one again but just didnt seem to have the comfort id now like and being pre 2000 im sure that rust and finding parts will start becoming issues. Same issues id have as if i went back to a Surf I guess ?. Saying that ive not experienced a D4D so would be unsure if its that much different to a KZN ?

80 - The "proper" one I believe but at the age they are I imagine rust is becoming a ever present factor and also I imagine lack comfort on longer journeys ?

100 - Currently where I think im heading but having not seen or driven one im not 100% sure on this as there are so many specs etc and is it that much of a progresssion from a KDJ 95 ?

If you made this far then well done - hopefully ive not offended any owners as like I said ive only owned one of the above so alot of this is perception :/

My first thought was an 80 for lack of electronics and sheer reliability. Choose well and you may find one with far less rust than you may imagine.
Reading on, maybe a petrol 100. Again rust is an issue reading what others have said but a good one will be, I'm told, refined comfort.
I think facelifted 2004 on if I remember right.
This is probably best coming from others on the 100 front as I have no experience of one and can only dream of one at present.

Good luck finding your ideal Cruiser. :)

Being an 80 owner and and very happy with it I'd have to agree with your comments regarding them. With your tick list, personally, I'd go for a V8 100 series no question. As late a model as you can afford as rust can be an issue on the early ones as can the AHC suspension. Having driven one several months ago I was smitten with the power and refinement of the V8, leagues above even the best 80 series and came very close to buying one. JMO

I only have proper experience of the D4D 95, but after having it for 8 years and putting almost a quarter million miles on it myself I can't say it lacks comfort. I've had it all over the continent and love it on a long spin. It's the definition of reliability too.

That said, I did drive a 100 and it is a nice place to spend some time. The AHC can be troublesome on them but otherwise they are as reliable as the day is long. (UN had hundreds of 105 trucks for years). If I didn't have such distance to travel I would have bought one of the thirsty buggers!

P.S get rid of that Navara before it splits in two..

Ta for all the quick replys :)

Starcruiser - think we are both of the same mindset and just lack having had the experience of other series :)

Towpack - Is rust really an issue on the 100's ? Is proper land rover rust or more of a surface corrosion issue ?

Bob - having spent a few years in my 95 I know what you mean. Maybe I should have worded my thoughts differently and gone down the route of its not uncomfortable but more has alot of bodyroll in comparison to more modern and tarmac orientated vehicles ?

With regards to the Nissan I plan to get out of it as soon as possible even if I need another stop gap until I can find and afford the right cruiser.

I think if I did go for a 100 id be after a white one which I guess are rare over here ? Theres something about the heavy duty front bumper and steel wheels / UN look while having all the comfort inside that really tickles my pickle !. Maybe that means im after a 105 although I thinks that a whole different kettle of fish with relation to comfort and spec ?

1998-2002_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_(FZJ105R)_GXL_wagon_(2011-11-18)_01.jpg

105.1.jpg

You'll probable find less rust on an 80 than a early 100 series. Petrol 80? Cheap, worked less, quieter, faster.smoother.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would say if its the 95 you miss then its the 95 you should go for because the D4D is an upgrade on the older 3TD which sounds like it had everything you need . More power with smoother delivery and and engine very capable of mega miles yet the drive train , body and everything but the engine is the same as the truck you knew well so you can buy with an experienced eye . Easier on the pocket as well .

Are the early 100's that bad and if so what are we classing as the early ones ?

Shayne - I know what you mean but there is also the lure of trying to better that with regards to the driveability etc

Your shopping list essentially describes a 120. They are also priced at quite a sweet spot these days. Have you / would you not consider one ?

I never really considered onto on all honesty GoK as believed them to be more towards the rav4 end of things so less orientated to towing / dealing with the odd wet field ?
Also thought they would be well out of budget ?

The 120 is fairly capable. It can tow, its ok in the wet, its great on road. Overall, more than a rav4 I would say the 120 is like the shogun . or a discovery. But better than both of them.

It wont tow more than a 80 or a 100, but how heavy a load are you looking to tow?

It wont do mudplugging (assuming stock) like an 80 either. And it has far more electrics than an 80. But its a 10yr newer car ( or more ) and will easily hit 200k miles on the clock with just the basic care. The engine is proven good, the bodywork is also good. And with the largest supply in the UK of all the LC's at the moment - they are quite well priced too.

Having just had a quick Google I see what you mean !

I'd be moving the odd car around for a friend to events in the summer that would at most be 2.5 ton. In relation to wetter more slippery stuff then no more than a twin axle caravan to a wet Glastonbury or isle of Wight field.

How come there are so many about but they are priced lower than their Amazon equalivent ?

You should be OK with 2.5ton braked ( iirc the manual spec says 2.8 - but check once ).

The 120 was cheaper than the 100 at Retail, and it carries that trend. Top of the line 120 Invincible series 120 in 2007 was 10 to 15k cheaper than the 2007 100 amazon series. That is also why a lot of families bought these - and why is much easier to find ones that have not had their ass worked off by the single owner lady who only ever did 6k miles a year with a full toyota service history :)

Its also a smaller engine at 3ltr compared with 4.2ltr in amazon. But then it's also cheaper to insure and tax.

Does look like 2.8 but details for the UK are sparce.

Once you get up to the age model then is it even worth debating the petrol engine ?!

Its horses for courses really, KB's advice is spot on, you never did get a 100 series for 120 money,but the 120 is less of a truck. I've been watching 120 prices and they have come down to realistic levels of late and, as I've found out running Collies after a succession of 80's they are a more practical size without being small.
The 4.0VVT could be an interesting option if fuel economy isn't too important and are difficult to sell but easy to buy with a good offer, likewise like TP says, there's nothing not to like about the 100 V8.
One thing to note is the hike in VED in 06 which is always a consideration.

I never really considered onto on all honesty GoK as believed them to be more towards the rav4 end of things

** splutters into cornflakes **

My 120 is the "farm car". I do a lot of towing close to the 2.8 ton limit, and some way over (on private land, obviously). You know you have 2.8 tons on the back in the hills, but I'm in South Wales and we have some fairly serious hills. On a wet field you have locking centre and rear diffs, so it's just down to the rubber you have on. On a flat field the BFG ATs I run are fine. Wet, grassy slopes trip up most cars in my experience, and that's when you switch to quad bikes and don't pull trailers across them.

We also do a 1600 mile round trip a couple of times a year, where it sits happily at 80. With the back seats down you can force in 6 small bales of hay. 12 * 25kg bags of hard feed will go in the "boot", with the back seats up (not the 6,7,8 very back seats).

If you're used to looking underneath a 95, a 120 is very similar. The lower wishbones are a slightly different shape (the ball joints don't snap off now), and you can get at the rear shock top mounts. Also the rear spring mounts are convex, rather than concave so don't hold onto mud and water.

They do rust though, although that's my experience with constant mud being sprayed about. Have a good look round the back axle and in particular where the top control arms mount onto the chassis.

I would like a 100 so I can legally tow 3.5 tons. But one of those with a 5 speed auto is very hard to find for under 15K.

Last edited:
Forgive me because i'm not very good at diplomacy so i will just say it outright - 10 miles driving my brothers 120 was 7 miles too many for me . Horses for courses and you might love it Paul but drive one before you get excited .

I used to have a cracking 80 series and now own a 95. I do like the steering lock and the fact it's smaller does suit our roads, it's a bit of a turd compared to the 80 regarding condition but this is what I was looking for. I have driven a 100 series a fair bit as a friend has one, but for me nothing comes close to the 80. I know that good ones are becoming tough to find but even if they do need work to get them up to scratch surely there still a strong contender.

Having driven virtually every model of Toyota 4x4 since the 1980's, and having owned in the U.K., a 3.0lt Surf, and 80 Series, a 120 D4D and now a 100 series, I have to say the 100 series, probably fits your shopping bill more accurately. I have absolutely no problems with mine and if you like comfort, well there you have it. The only changes, I made/paid for were, to remove the AHC and replace with conventional suspension (my preference though), remove the EGR completely and change the wheels and tyres.
It is a good reliable vehicle, and I cannot fault it.

Back