Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

what anti virus???

Gary Mead

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
had AVG free for years never had any probs but recently put the AVG 11 Free edition on my laptop and it has taken over the computer.i think its corrupt or only half installed (according to my internet research).it kept blocking my wireless connection saying "limited access"but it wouldnt un-install either,and would keep telling me to restart the pc to update etc etc??????????.
managed to get it un installed eventually and using the microsoft security,but it does not have any anti virus so need to get something free!!!
really dont want something complicated,that slows pc up,keeps making pop up warnings every 10 seconds,just something to run in the background.

any suggestions

cheers Gary

Avira (i think thats how you spell it) :thumbup:

Well for the last three pc's I have rebuilt I have used the free Microsoft one, and it seems fine. Not to intrusive too. I think it's called "Microsoft Essentials"

I too have used MS essentials on a couple of PCs and while it's not jumped up and said "Hey, you had a virus" it seems to be humming away. I stopped using AVG when they updated it and killed the performance. My machines took a leap back in speed.

I used a paid version of BitDefender (£30 for 3 PCs) but might change to Essentials when the licence expires.

Gary Mead said:
had AVG free for years never had any probs but recently put the AVG 11 Free edition on my laptop and it has taken over the computer.i think its corrupt or only half installed (according to my internet research).it kept blocking my wireless connection saying "limited access"but it wouldnt un-install either,and would keep telling me to restart the pc to update etc etc??????????.
managed to get it un installed eventually and using the microsoft security,but it does not have any anti virus so need to get something free!!!
really dont want something complicated,that slows pc up,keeps making pop up warnings every 10 seconds,just something to run in the background.

any suggestions

cheers Gary
I'm having problems with AVG as well, when I updated it the other week I turned off scheduled scans, like to do it when I like, but it starts doing things on it's own which slows the PC, so when I plug my new quad core in this week I'm going to try Avast http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download

None, just buy an apple and use it.

Seriously I've had mcafee, Fsecure, AVG and a few others I cant remember.
Sooner or later they tend to clog up the pc, like bad fuel clogs up a diesel.
It needs a decent cleaning and your up and running again.

Windows is a lot like Landrover, it needs to be tinkered with on a frequent basis. And often CR&PS out when you really need it!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I too have always used AVG but have also had probs with the latest version. I also used the AVG system tool (registry cleaner) which resulted in my laptop refusing to start-up properly. Only sorted it by having to "repair" my operating system. Avoid like the plague!

Reckon I might try one of the others you mention.

I use Kaspersky Labs and it's brilliant. So far. :clap: :shock: :lol:

I use MS essentials as it doesn't hit performance and seems to find viruses OK - had a few of the newer ones that it has found. I use Zone Alarm free edition for a firewall as MS essentials doesn't have one - unlike the previous Windows Live One Care which I used until they gave up on it and released MS Essentials. I used to use Norton but it hit performance something chronic - gave up on it in 2006.

Using free AVG on about 35 PCs with no issues.

Heard good things about Kaspersky.

Use Norman on my own PCs. Get it free through my bank (I suppose they do it out of self interrest)

Is that a pirate version? :happy-bouncymagenta:

just installed the free avast,quick and easy to do and seems to be doing what is says on the tin :thumbup:

cheers Gary

Back