Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What can be done to a 2H

Blackdognutjob

Country Flag
australia
Hi guys,
I’m still tossing up whether I do an engine swap on my 75 series or if I rebuild and upgrade the current 2H that’s in it. It’s got nearly 600k on the clock at the moment and feels quite gutless. What are my options to get more power? Different heads, bore it out, put a turbo on it, or all of the above?

Also, what are my options to mate an auto to it... my situation has started to make the manual gearbox a challenge to me

Hi,

The 2H, even when new, wasn't the most powerful engine around but it is a 'million mile' engine. With 600k on it the injector pattern is probably distorted so check the compression for each pot and fit new/recon injectors.

But ideally you need an auto and, as there are plenty of them in Oz, it may be worth seeing if there is someone out there who wants a 2H manual in exchange for a 2H auto.

When you have fouund such a person and done the swop, if it is still under power then Garrett do a turbo for the 2H.

Or get the engine/auto from an HJ60 or if you want to go straight for more power then find an HJ61.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Roger,
Thanks for your response. Am I right in thinking you mean the 12ht as the engine out of the hj61? I have been looking at this option... I must say, it’s becoming so daunting with all the options. I thought it would be pretty straightforward, but I’m learning quickly it’s not... then once you ‘think’ you know what you want, then it has to be engineer certified ‍

Personally i view a reconditioned engine as good as new so depending on what the rest of the truck looks like you could get good money for a million-mile work horse Cruiser as there's plenty out there looking for exactly that . Enough cash to buy a Cruiser more suited to you maybe ?

An intercooler is a harmless way to add a little power .

Well, I can tell you, BDNJ that you don't want an auto mated to a standard 2H. I have run every variation of 60's from 1980 to 1990, auto 60's with and without after market turbos, manual 60's with and without turbos and 61 's manual and auto. The best variation was the 61 auto in my opinion but there again I have a preference for autos , allthough I did have a very sweet manual with aftermarket turbo and intercooler setup for a good while.
One thing to consider is that if you swap an auto into a manual you will have to re gear as standard manuals on 60's run 3.7 diffs and autos 4.1. ( I dont know about 70's though they may be 4.1 and therefore you might have to go to 4.5 od 4.5). I tried putting 3.7's in an auto with a standard 2H and it didn't have the power to pull itself along. The standard 61 auto runs 4.1 diffs ans goes very well.
Refering back to your own engine, is it 600KM or miles? As Roger said, well serviced these can run for vast distances if well maintained and I'd start by having a good health check on yours. Injectors and pump overhauled, compression checked, big end bearings checked for condition and also the valve gear as the rockers can get well worn into by the tips of the valves giving a false reading when checked with a feeler gauge. If all is good I'd fit an after market turbo kit as the engine will easily stand it. It will increase power by up to 40% therefore vastly increasing the drivability.
I realise I'm refering to 60's and not a 70 series but you should be able to glean something as yours is a 2H, but there is little to be gained by trying to "tune" a 2H engine.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys. The engine has done 600k km. I don’t necessarily want to tune it as such, but I definitely want more power, so maybe slapping a turbo on it may be the answer if I stick the 2H. Am I correct in understanding that if I do put an auto in I’ll have to change the diffs as well?

Thanks again for the responses

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It depends on the diffs you have in already. The diff ratio is stated on the Vin plate ( in code) . Toyota put lower diffs in autos for a reason.

I have a turbo on this 1989 HJ75 just oil feed to turbo no inter-cooler about 7 pound boost etc ......... engine has 260 thousand km ... ATM ... 3" straight through exhaust sounds awesome... but would love a 12 HT in the old girl ...... its not the fastest ....... and doesn't like hills either but still puts a smile on my face when when i drive this old Cruiser .......... the 2H is old tech and slow mate but still get the job done ........... a rebuild would probably be the go and turbo with low boost etc ..... and like the other man said an Auto rather than Manuel would be better for off road etc for 4,,,wheel driving mine has a 5 speed also will do 100km maybe 110 km reeving a bit ...has....... 33 " mud tires Toyo open country ........and an extreme out back ultimate heavy duty clutch .........rear and front lockers etc Eaton Harrop ..... on hwy but she is still old and slow ..... compared to newer rigs ........ this cruiser lives in Queensland Australia ........ best of luck with your Cruiser also

Although we're talking apples and pears here, as I imagine a 60 is lighter than a 75 but my turbo charged intercooled 60 used to fly up hills in 5th, never had to change down on any hill. Cruising at 70-80 all day long was easy peasy.

Back