Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What first??

warrenpfo

Now that i own one of these beasts where do i start?

How capable out of the box is it with road tyres and do i have to fit extended diff breathers??

My mind is going crazy with all the options out there and i am hoping to be able to fit 33" tyres so that i can go out and have some fun with out having to fiddle with the suspension. It has the std AHC which is working.

Then i will look at maybe raising it and fitting a few mods like bumpers, winches etc..

I am based Outside windsor/maidenhead and need to do my front piston caliper boots which i will get from Ian but was wondering if anyone this way had done it or was able to lend me a bleed kit as doing it yourself is made much easier. What brake fluid does a 2003 100 series 4.2diesel use?

Sorry loads of questions and more to come i am sure.

My advice would be go play for a while first, then start modifying... I didn't & slightly regret it....

But have fun whatever and

:text-worthless:

(Have always wanted to use that one ;) )

WHOA! Stop right there!!!

It is a Toyota LandCruiser, regardless of series it is a Toyota LandCruiser which means it is already highly capable and unless you are going to be putting it to extremes then it is already more than capable (much more) than what the average user requires of it believe me. Mine still surprises me every time i take it off the tar!

Put some decent all terrains on it and spend you money on fuel to take it to places rather than unnecessary mods which it honestly doesn't need!

My 2p worth.

As others have said, slap on some 285/75/16 BFG ATs and go and play and then plan things from there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:text-imwithstupid: & I keep forgetting those essentials but are you sure they are required in an 'undred??? :lol:

Thanks chaps will look at the tyres and then leave it at that until further notice.

On tyres i need to keep in mind that i will be returning to South Africa in a year and so the tyres i choose will need to suit me back home as well.

Cant really go wrong with BFG ATs, excellent grip in all conditions apart from mud and stuff like extreme rock crawling which we don't really do over here.

What size rims do you have? I Would get some 33" tyres like 298/75/16 but looking at the photos they might not fit your wheels.

That's a 31" tyre, you could try 275/70/18 which is a 33.15" tyre or 285/65/18 which is a bit smaller at 32.58". No expert on if they will fit as I don't have a 100. Can someone else chip in?

EDIT: try a search, there must be a thread on 100 series tyre sizes

Will do a search

I dont want to have to raise the suspension if it fit 33" tyres but also when i do raise it want them not to look small which i think they wont.

Muds generally lack grip in wet and snowy conditions, but tyres like BFG KM2s and Cooper STTs are great in all conditions except in snow where a decent all retain tyre will excel. ATs are great all rounders but will fill up with mud quickly and dont did like muds do in really deep stuff, more of an issue on lesser 4x4s ;)

Warren,
I am pretty sure 33s will fit unmodified. Ask Julian or Jon W to be sure.

As we're all taking turns advising on how to spend your money, my vote would be KM2s. They're very quiet - very similar to ATs and will give better traction off-road than ATs. But I don't think you'll find KM2s in the sizes Rob mentioned. Toyo Open Country AT and MT are available in the 275/70 (which would be my preferred tyre size over the 65 profiles). Again Jon W has the Toyo OC ATs and can tell you about them ;)

Congrats on finally the pulling the trigger on the cruiser!

Cheers,

The Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
16"
LT225/75R 16 110/107Q
LT235/70R 16 104/101Q
LT235/85R 16 120/116Q
LT245/75R 16 120/116Q
LT255/70R 16 115/112Q
LT255/85R 16 123/120Q
LT265/75R 16 123/120Q
LT285/75R 16 126/123Q
LT305/70R 16 118/115Q

Could look at getting a second set of rims to get the right size tyre on it if thats the best option.

warrenpfo said:
The Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
16"

Could look at getting a second set of rims to get the right size tyre on it if thats the best option.
Ha ha - Jon W went the other direction with these. I believe 16" rims will fit and there is definitely a much better selection of 4x4 tyres (i.e. off-road biased) in 16". I would think that the 100 handles a bit better with 18" tyres though.
Are you driving it back to SA or shipping? If the latter and it's going to mostly be a tar road cruiser, stick with the 18s IMHO.

Cheers,

Howsit going and congrats :thumbup:

I'm going to go slightly against the grain here...

First mods to do IMHO is:
1. Decent tyres, i am really stoked with my BFG KM2 Mud terrains. Road noise is barely noticeable, good grip in the rain and i have been really impressed with them offroad. Besides we are in the UK and you will find mud. Also my father in law has a 4x4 rental company in Namibia. He runs them on all his Hilux's and swears by them. Less punctures and failures than any other tyre he has run. Also not far off from the type roads we get in SA.

2. Add protection - Bumpers and sliders, if you want to play your bumpers and side steps are going to take a beating sooner or later. And it's never nice wanting to try a line or obstacle and constantly be worried about damage.

Just my R0.02

Most important, get out and have some fun.

PS: I'm not too far from Windsor if you want some one to help you bleed your brakes, as long as you know what to do :?

Cheers
Ryan

305/60/18 is available in KM2 (32.41")

EDIT: looks like a US only size

You shouldn't have any problems with a 285 width / 33" tall tyre and that's a good compromise size, it's when you go wider or taller that things get more complicated. On the less agressive treads like AT's and MT's I think anything wider than 285 has too much floatation and can struggle to dig on some surfaces. I went to 18" wheels mainly because it's the only way to get a good all rounder 35" in a 285 width but for a 33" you're probably spoilt for choices so 16" is an option.

Back