Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is it worth?

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
I have access to a 1996 HDJ80. It really is a mint one. It belongs to a classic car collector and has been stored in a humidity controlled car storage unit, along with assorted Ferraris and Lambos!! It has 31,800 miles on the clock and a full main dealer history.

What is it worth, 15K? 20K?

Ian

Is it a GS, GX or VX? Might make a big difference for this particular one as no one will want to pay a premium for a low spec model.

Well what car reckons it worth:
Dealer £13,095
Private £11,145
Part exchange £10,445
Trade £9,945

Now add the fact that this is most probably the most desirable 80 in the UK due to the condition I would say 15k is a good starting point.

On a completly different note I have just checked what they reckon my 80 is worth and :shock:

What would you do with something like that once you've bought it :?: :think: :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You could sell it using really original language lie 'timewarp condition' in the article??

I think your on the right track there Ian. I would think that 15K would be the minimum, for something with such low miles and in mint condition. 20K I think would be the ceiling for a standard 80, even one with so much life left in it.

Now if you were one our favourite garages you'd be asking 25K, I'm sure, and you'll be waiting for the buy for a long time, just like they seem to be currently.

As Sae70 said, after you've paid 15-20K for a mint 80, it's almost going to be a shame to use it!

Who's going to be the most likely buyer? Well the dealers will be after it for as little as they can, so they can stick it up for the 25K. It's unlikely that an enthusiast is going to have that money to spend.

Now if your buying an 80 to drive around the world, you know that this one won't be worn out, and shouldn't take much baselining, and therefore would make a great basis from which to start.

I'll take a punt and say that it won't sell for 15-20K, rather 13K. It may well be advertised far higher by the usual suspects, but I can't fathom why you'd spend that money when one would get a very decent example still of low mileage in the many newer series. I suspect one wouldn't want to offroad it, nor does it represent a status symbol (outside of our little world!), so I don't see who would stump up the cash.

The guy should probably export it after gauging interest. The UK would be the cheapest place to sell it - other countries would pay far more.

Presumably the question is only academic? If I had an almost new 80 sticking out of the middle of my fleet of Ferraris and Lambos I sure as hell wouldn't be selling, nor would I need the money :lol:

For insurance purposes, I think you have to put the value down as somewhere north of £20k because of rarity and proven value in other markets (SA & Aus).

What do I think it would sell for in the open market? £15k on a very good day - I think Martin's call is about right at £13k. Obviously a well-heeled collector might blow this out of the water but an 80 series isn't an obviously-popular collector's car.

Very nice to hear someone is storing one for posterity! The owner must have had cold shivers if he's seen Ian's 80 for comparison :o I can only assume he hasn't or he wouldn't have let Ian near it :lol:

Andrew Prince said:
Presumably the question is only academic? If I had an almost new 80 sticking out of the middle of my fleet of Ferraris and Lambos I sure as hell wouldn't be selling, nor would I need the money :lol:
The owner must have had cold shivers if he's seen Ian's 80 for comparison :o I can only assume he hasn't or he wouldn't have let Ian near it :lol:
Good question Andrew, Ian is this 80 actually for sale?

The car is metallic red. The owner has passed away and the whole collection is for sale. £15k - £20k was my best guess but as has been asked who would buy it? Mechanically it will be no better than a very well maintained 80k mile one. It is the complete lack of any corrosion that will be the main attraction IMHO.

Ian

That's a very special 80, as close to new condition as you could get now I'd think. My punt at value is £17.5k :) time to check how much cash Jess has in her piggy bank!

God,I'm so pleased its red and a manual, my least favourite combination!!! Thats saved me pursuing something I wanted and did'nt really need ( yea right)

AndycruiserguyLomas said:
God,I'm so pleased its red and a manual, my least favourite combination!!! Thats saved me pursuing something I wanted and did'nt really need ( yea right)
Oh no! A manual? and I was just going to visit my bank manager :lol:

Yep its going to be a manual if it's post 95 and 24v. There are a few and I mean a few 24v autos about but they are imports and invariably different trim specs to the UK cars. (see the one CF have for sale),ie. not leather and wood trim,spare on the back etc.
Still,a 24v auto in whichever guise would be a nice cruiser to have.

What you want is a auto 24v with difflocks. Never seen one or heard of one but they must exist.

Yes I must agree with you on that one Rob,I've seen a couple of 24 v autos sold but yes,they seem to lack axle diff locks.
I suppose if you must have them they could be retro fitted,or after market lockers!

Andy

Back