Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is it?

brencal

Country Flag
australia
Hello All,

Had a friend find this in her shed and wanted to find out what it is.

Im not sure but it was apparently bought new in 1969 in Tasmania.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Bren
IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_7385.jpeg
IMG_1761.jpeg

It’s a beauty is what it is. There should be a plate on it with something like FJ4x which will tell you the model. That’s as far as my knowledge goes. @jlpurcell has one similar in the same (gorgeous) colour IIRC. Looks in pretty good nick given its age and last time of service.

Last edited:
Hi Bren,

From the looks of it and the information you gave it is an FJ40. F engine - 6 in line petrol plus a 3 speed transmission with a reduction gearbox. The 2F was not introduced until 1974/5. And going by the 3rd photo it has locking hubs!
If you put the VIN number into toyodiy.com it should give you the exact information.

Has your friend got anymore magic sheds?!

Regards,

Rodger

Is it an old 6cyl petrol. 4.0 maybe.. guessing a bigger brain will be along soon im sure... (Ah beat me to it Rodger)

Hi look like 1960 to me I would love to find one like that wot a good looking cruiser love it :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It’s a cutie, what a find... amazing.

Take it as a project or get her to sell it as a project, if that ends up in a salvage yard it would be bordering on criminal.

Thanks everyone,

She couldn't find a plate on it. But I will get her to check again.

They haven't located a key yet but I have suggested she get it started and see what happens.

Also locals say that it may have a broken rear axel.

Ill tell her its no good and that I will clear out her shed for her for free.

Bren

Good luck with that Bren. That’s a rare beauty you’ve got there.

Senior moment ......
In my post 'locking hubs' should have read 'diff locks'.

Hi Bren,

With you saying that she couldn't find a plate on it, if you check on the front right chassis leg, just behind the front bumper, the number should be stamped into the frame there.
Get that number and we can tell you what it is.

Regards,

Rodger

Hello Rodger

Serial number was right where you said.

It is FJ45 30880.

I think that it makes it a May 1967 model swb

Regards Bren

Hi Bren,

I'm away visiting my daughter at the moment but '67 FJ45 swb sounds good. Personally I prefer the look of the swb45.

Even if it does have a busted axle, it would still be worth getting, as going off the '40 series landcruiser owners' FB group (Oz based) there are loads of spares available (and appreciating that Australia is a very big place, so they may not be in your area).

They found the keys yet?

Regards,

Rodger

No keys found yet and I suspect they are gone.

I am trying to get up to the farm and have a look, put a battery in it and see if I can get it to go.

Will have to do some research on how to start it with out a key.

Regards Bren

Back