Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What Landcruisers have the highest stock payloads?

Bruosky

Country Flag
australia
I'm considering a LC100 4.2TD between the early to mid 2000's. But need the highest carry capacity I can get. After a bullbar & LR full tank I would like to be able to load an average of 900kg's at least. I read about gvm upgrades with HD suspension & other parts, but that would seem pointless if the stock payload is not 900kg + already to begin with.

I'm confused why does the payload vary from as little as 600's to over 800? And how do I find the ones with very high carry capacity.

thanks

Hi!

There are a few different suspention setups around.
Lets first start with diesel or petrol. On the IFS the petrol engineed torsion bars are much thinner than the equivalent diesel bars.
Yhen there is the option of the (dreaded by some) AHC, which actually is an hydralic assisted shock. The shock in these vehicles is on the front again assisted by the torsion bar & the back by coil springs.

I have converted a LC100 Diesel from AHC setup to an HD OME setup. I replaced all 4 shicks, rear coil springs & the HD Torsion bars. I did not know better at a stage & was told I could/should reuse the AHC Torsion bars, The LC dropped to its bumpstops. The OME bars where abt double the size of the AHC ones.
The car today has a winch & winch pumper, hols another 190 LR Tank in the rear & a drawer system. On top was a RR, now it has a poptop.

The biggest issue with these "big" conversions" is space & the front axle load. Mine is getting close to what it can take according to paperwork. I would not know how to fit 900kg into (the back of )mine, unles they where coins....
Paperfigures differ from where the cars where sold or markedet too. Legal issues due to the total weight I`d assume.
Have a loo at Toyo parts catalouge & look at the different springs etc.

IF You need to haul the weight You mention, You are probably better off looking for a J7....

Hi & thanks for reply.

So are you saying that its not possible to safely load up 900-1000kg even after a few g's spent on hd upgrades like suspensions? I would be doing bitumen roads mainly & mild off road, but nothing like corrugations or ruts. If this is the case I think I will look at something with more payload.

In my position 900kg is the bare minimum for a practical trip, after passengers, loaded roof, water, fridge, tent & food etc I have already hit 900. This weight is spread over the 4wd too. Like 180kg in front seats, 100 in 2nd & the rest in cargo & on roof.

I do have a trailer, but some times it would be good to just take the 4wd.

cheers.

Sounds like a reasonably standard setup now you break it down. I don't see anything there that is different to an 80 set up for overlanding. If it were a tonne on a pallet for example then I'd have said a HiLux but what you say as items doesn't sound unrealistic.

Peter seems to have good info on this and you may be able to supplement this by talking to somebody like EFS or Old Man Emu.

@SpinDrift has an overland setup on his hundee, maybe he has in idea of weights.

The 70 series I would guess have the highest stock pay loads. Being in oz they are easy to get hold of too.

Reactions: Ben
Have a look on the NSW RVD list; it's not the easiest to navigate, but does have a lot of detail on the weights as well as the weight that each accessory such as a air con or auto gearbox adds/eats into the payload. This is information that was submitted to the NSW RMS/RTA when the car was initially complianced for sale in Australia.

It's offline over night, but you'll do best searching for either J100 or J105 in the Toyota section in the post 1999 list.

I think you'll find that most Aussie dirt roads have corrugations at some point; the difference is the size of them... one bit near me 60kmh was the sweet spot for smooth ride over it, but others it's down to 40kmh to handle the bump induced oversteer.

With the weight, I'd look as well as to how much you're putting on the roof.

If comfort is an issue, I'd personally go 100 or 105 series and a trailer over the 70 series, especially as the 70 series wagon wasn't available until 2011ish (Troopy was, but I'd not rate that as a long distance family tourer that highly)

Hope that helps,

Ed

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So are you saying that its not possible to safely load up 900-1000kg even after a few g's spent on hd upgrades like suspensions?

What I am getting at, is that even with a HD setup from fi OME, You can & shall not exceed the stated max axle load from the manufacturer. Then come GVW, nevertheless how You spread the load, You will have to be within these. X 1000$ spoent on suspention aint gonna change that fact.
The 100 has IFS, the 105 a solid live front axle. I doubt there will be a huge difference in either Gvw nor max axle load. You will probably be able to get your 1 tonn total load into it.thats about it
Please take into consideration that, if You say fit the HD +300kg springs from OME, the emty ride will become pretty harsh once You complete Your trip & drive around "empty"...
IIRC I had +150kg springs in the rear on the LC100, full set of SuperPro bushes added to the stiffness.. Empty-Empty it was abit bouncy. With the LR Fueltank topped up (193l), a drawer system installed, Aux battery in the back, 60l Watertank topped up, swing away spare on the back & finally a roof conversion, the car sat level & was a joy to ride.

Either You need to skin Your load or choose a different setup.
Sorry!

I have worked ( & driven) with quite a few converted Hzj78-79s. They weigh in at around 3400kg ready to travel with fuel, water, food & PI. Usually 2-4 travelling.
They are mostly set up on standard springs (new) & HD shocks of variouse types. Terrain Tamer with external reservoar to name 1 Option.
What I am again trying to bring across, is that here the GVW for a LC100 is 3500kg, Empty they weigh 2600kg. Means 900kg of payload from stock...
If You add fi a winch front bumper, big LR tank inc fuel +++ You will easily reduce the payload down to 650kg... 4 adults & a big fridge I`d say is easily 400kg of load. A roofrack & 60lwater in a tank is approx 150kg...Leaves You with >150kg for PI, Food, Beer & whatever else You may want to haul.
If You feel these numbers are unrealistic, say so :)

Edit; Typo&more info

Last edited:
Some points from my perspective. There is a 100 series very like mine that totals 3500kg on the weighbridge and this has been driven at this weight for many 10,000s of miles over rough roads/washboard and tarmac with no obvious detrimental effect. Suspension is but one of the things that needs to be considered - you should also think about how the fully loaded/over loaded vehicle will stop safely (Toyota handbook suggests reducing max speed to 60MPH and give yourself another extra 100kg on the payload - however I'm not sure this will wash with DVLA if you get pulled up at the roadside). The 100 series payload isn't that great. There is also the general impact to reliability particularly on the drivetrain, and of course handling, particularly if your weight is poorly distributed and/or high. Overweight on any axle and/or total gets 3 points for each offence in the UK if you're caught. On my own overlander I ripped out as much as I could and weighed everything out and into the truck and kept a detailed weight budget, including people, water, fuel, clothes, tools, spares you name it, everything down to 100grams. Take a look at my Hedgehog build thread for some thoughts on suspension set-up - this has ben spot on for my recent 35000 mile overland journey @ full GVW. I spent a lot of time optimising my kit-list to decide on what I really must take with me.....The really heavy items are things like bull bars, winches, wheel carriers, spares etc....you may not need those for your own trips. I can reinstall the 2nd row seats if I want to carry people rather than camping gear.

Back