Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What to use for an air intake hose?

Jimbo4x4

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
http://www.hoseworld.com/acatalog/autom ... _hose.html

^^These guys have pretty much everything i could possibly want to try...

I need to make a connection from my snorkel (that was designed for a petrol 70) to my airbox. There are funny angles and horribly tight confines to work to, so ideally i could do with one short length of completely flexible, strong and airtight 3" hose. The thing is, that stuff is reinforced with coil and I have no idea how I would attach it to the snorkel and the airbox at each end, and also keep it airtight. Any suggestions?

The other option is to try and cobble something together with a couple of 3" silicon bends, some 3" drainpipe and a handful of jubilee clips.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I've had this snorkel for months and am pining to get it fitted :)

Custom silicon hose is not too dear to have made up, i will dig out the link.
I have made some tricky joins before by trawling through the scrap yards and seeing what i can find on engines and reusing.
Also, what about making up a solid pipe to take care of the curves and just make the connections with straight normal hose.

air ducting

I can get you this to try out Jim. They do a 'special' split jubilee clip which would make it pretty water tight.

Let me know

Paul if you have that link handy I'd be greatful. I have a space of 7"x5" to work with (in 3" hose) and the snorkel outlet angles slightly away from the airbox inlet. I don't think fixed bends are going to do the trick.

I think if I use some silicon bends I will be able to cut down the legs a little to make them easier to work with, but a custom made piece to do the job would be better.

Gav, thanks for the offer mate but I have real worries about water getting in through where the helix coil keeps the clip from clamping down fully against the snorkel/airbox bodies. Obviously the engine sucks air in and if even the slightest gap is underwater, it will suck the water in too.

No probs on the air ducting Jim - if you want to have a go with it, we have the ducting lying about.

I could get an 90° elbow 'adjusted' for you & use some white rubber tubing that we also use in our systems that would fit everything together... These are used on conveying systems that operate ~ 6 psi so would certainly repel water. In fact, I think that we may have used the air ducting in a similar position on occasion... I digress...

BTW, mud pit now seems closed to 4x4's... :-(

http://www.siliconehoses.co.uk/

If you are using hoses with an uneven surface, i have had sucess before with covering the smooth pipe you are connecting to with washing up liquid and then filling the internal surface of the uneven pipe with silicon and mounting on the smooth pipe. Let it set and then remove, clean off the soap and reassemble with hose clip and you should get a good seal.
I have also in the past found some soft rubber (inner tube?) and put it inbetween the two pipes to give an area to crush and seal.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the info chaps, and the link Paul.

Gavlad said:
No probs on the air ducting Jim - if you want to have a go with it, we have the ducting lying about.

I could get an 90° elbow 'adjusted' for you & use some white rubber tubing that we also use in our systems that would fit everything together... These are used on conveying systems that operate ~ 6 psi so would certainly repel water. In fact, I think that we may have used the air ducting in a similar position on occasion... I digress...

Gav, maybe you could call down one evening and have a look, you might know of something that will do the job straight off?

Might have to save this for another occasion now though as my alternater appears to have packed in... another thread coming up shortly.

Gavlad said:
BTW, mud pit now seems closed to 4x4's... :-(

Don't fret, it will soon be open again ;)

Yeah no probs - what evening is good for you Jim?

I can pop by most evenings but have to get back for brownie/rainbow pickups tues 7.15/weds 6.30 but I'm sure we could work out what is required quite quickly...

I'll bring my collection of holesaws, just in case we decide to fit it :twisted:

Cheers
Gav

Go for thursday then? anytime is fine mate, just give me a bell beforehand.

Thanks muchly :D

Jim, shall we do a survey before then? I might be able to get what we need sorted by Thursday so we could fit it up on Thursday - are you home halffivish tomorrow?

I have a VeeDub beetle alternator here if thats anygood to you :D

Back