Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What winch ?

It's sort of like heavy duty relay, you use low current voltage to trigger the solenoid on. It's essentially a 2 way relay, winch in or winch out.

Its the heavy duty contacts that allow the winch to draw the much higher amperage from the battery when under pulling load.

With regard to the pulling power this winch pictured will be slower then the 9500 one. No big deal i hear you say but sometimes when winching you come off the winxh and drive then you loose motion and your back on the winch. With a slower winch you are shock loading your mounts and winch so is best to avoid this. If your looking for extra pulling power double line the winch to get 19000 lbs which is more then enough.

Hope this helps make your mind up. I have had 4x4 hung from trees and cliffs with 8000lbs winchs before. They coped. I think the 12000lbs winchs are better on a recovery truck to be fair.
Stu

QUOTE=Shayne;410764]It was the price that made me stop and look at it , the 9500lb i'm seeing are a similar price so i thought why not have the extra power . Of course i don't know much about what i'm looking at but the pics suggest to me the solenoid is intended to be housed elsewhere too ?

What sort of price should i be looking for ?[/QUOTE]

That's just it Stu i'm shopping blind , the principals of winching are nothing new to me but i'm used to 10 tonne hydraulic split winches and belt driven capstans , double and triple pulleys and that kind of thing these electric winches all look identical to me .

I've scrapped this idea the 9000lb winches i can find go upwards of 320 quid without delivery added , then its probably 200 for a winch tray then move the solenoid etc etc i prob wouldn't get much change from a grand . Be nice to have one but thats a very expensive ornament .

Last edited:
The chap that brought andys changed to a winch bumper he might have a tray spare. You dont have to move the solenoid straight off. Not moved mine yet and seen plenty of water and mud.

Chris green sells the plates
Stu

That's just it Stu i'm shopping blind , the principals of winching are nothing new to me but i'm used to 10 tonne hydraulic split winches and belt driven capstans , double and triple pulleys and that kind of thing these electric winches all look identical to me .

oh, the capstan winch, what a great bit of kit!! variable speed depending on engine revs, as much length of rope as you can carry, no gearing factor and pull in any direction. fantastic:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ChrisGreen90 is Chris Blake of Humber 4x4 Stu , i will say no more now because i've decided tomorrow i will will be signing up to every forum i can find that mentions his business so i can post my thoughts .

Capstans do have their down side Moggy a young lad i know had his right arm torn off at the shoulder not long ago and its looking likely the left arm can't be saved either poor bugger .

Capstans do have their down side Moggy a young lad i know had his right arm torn off at the shoulder not long ago and its looking likely the left arm can't be saved either poor bugger .

Truck winches eat fingers, if you're not careful. Actually, they're dangeroud buggers, so treat them with great caution, care and respect. Excellent insurance though, mine has saved me countless times.

who'd be a good supplier for a Warn 9500 in the UK
to be sent to Portugal?

cheers

Warn are international TP with the weight of it i imagine it's worth sourcing a local supplier .

Truck winches eat fingers, if you're not careful. Actually, they're dangeroud buggers, so treat them with great caution, care and respect. Excellent insurance though, mine has saved me countless times.

Most machinery will eat fingers, arms, legs etc if you get careless or are just plain unlucky. 500cc GP rider Darryl Beattie lost all the toes on one foot during a crash in '94 when his foot got caught in the rear chain and sprocket.

thanks Shayne
just getting impatient
the locals down here are good at fishing,growing veg and drinking good coffee

my local 4x4 garage is always manana manana,he's good but...

anyway; choose me a Warn winch for my 120 mate...?

['cause i know more about veg and coffee...;)]

Hey i started this thread coz i haven't a clue :wtf: . All i can tell you is i've read a lot and everything suggests Warn are the best and everyone on here agrees 9500 is ideal . If i were you i'd just get it direct from America as a UK supplier will probably only do the same then claim the cost back from you .

Last edited:
Just thought TP your getting a winch bumper , why not just get a winch delivered along with it ? Warn wins all the pro reviews when tested side by side with other names but the fact is all do the job they are intended for and they are probably all made up of parts manufactured in China anyway .

Back