Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

what year fuel tank

daverdlc

Country Flag
england
hi all
i have a problem my 98 colorado lwb the fuel tank is fercked
i have a chance of a good second hand one that is for the 1999 to 2002
does anyone know if they are the same ?.
cheers dave

I have yet to find a difference between my 1998 swb and my 2001 swb d4d body , chassis or drivetrain , different motor and clocks but the rest is interchangeable as far as I can tell .

cheers shayne
i tell you thesis turning into a nightmare need a tank ,tank straps that i can't seem to get hold of .
tank guard is rotten ,snapped all 4 bolts holding the tank guard on ,i would wear this has never been off since the day it left the factory .
the tank is leaking at the seems looks like water has got in between the joins and rusted forcing the 2 sheets open

roughtrax have fuel tanks according to their site, but not the straps :(

i can get the above mentioned tank for £100 ,i can't seem to find any straps though .im just hoping that i can get the bolts holding the straps in place without shearing the heads off

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Simon Holton is our forum friendly Toyota main dealer he will cut costs where he can for members so it is certainly worth giving him a call on 01604788300

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your rust problems. You should be able to order new tank straps, but if you make some up, they are about 16 gauge, 1.5mm thickness. Good luck !

Plenty of fuel tanks and tank guards on ebay

I agree with MarkW that broken bolts are just part of the 'fun'. However I think you've been a little unlucky. I have been amazed at how long-lasting many of the Toyota bolts are (not all!) compared with my old Isuzu Trooper. Perhaps it varies a lot depending on your individual car, how often its been washed, how much it's been used in the winter on gritted roads etc

Amayama have the straps at https://www.amayama.com/en/search?q=77601-60170

£26.04 plus postage each

Part number is 77601-60170 and you need two the same

I would check what your nearest MrT dealer wants for them as its often a bit of a wait from Amayama (and the purchase process is a bit tedious). I'd only go with Amayama if MrT's prices make you need a lie down

cheers for the number shayne ill give it a try in the morning .
cheers for the links and the part numbers guys .
the truck looks like it was under seald at some point in the past over the rust ,i tell you I'm not looking forwards to attacking the bolts on the tank straps :icon-sad:

Last edited:
In July 2015 I bought a pair of Tank Straps for the '95' from Toyota - via Simon Holton.

£86.88 each, with 11% discount = £154.65.

I sheared one of the upper strap bolts off :doh:. It is impossible to get a drill near it so I cut a hole in the floor above the cross-member, cleaned-up the bit of thread I could see, heated it with a gas torch and unscrewed it with a mole grip :thumbup:.

When it was all finished I welded a plate flush with the floor and gave it a coat of the only red paint I could find:

DSCN6003_zpsavogozmv.jpg

New stainless bolts and new straps made the job a good-un :thumbup:.

DSCN6001_zpsgteeoqex.jpg

Fortunately, my tank was OK, if a little rusty, and a couple of coats of black Hammerite gave it a new lease of life. I had replaced the tank guard about 7 years ago. I replaced the pick-up unit and rubber pipes though.

Tank Guards . . Warning, those from a SWB have shorter rear brackets than those from a LWB. The one I bought from a Breaker was the wrong type and I had to drill-out spot welds and swap and weld the rear brackets.

Bob.

I didn’t fancy my luck with trying to remove the front strap bolts, luckily the back ones came out whole with heat and an impact gun. The straps were not too good, one had broken and the other wasn’t far off, but the brackets had plenty of strength left in them and the rubber strips were still useable. After getting the length and width of the old straps, I cut a couple of new straps about 4ft long from 16g sheet steel and gave them a good zinc spray and paint. I cut the old straps off, leaving a few inches below the front and back hangers. After a fair bit of heat and easing oil, the pivots freed up, I passed the new straps through the front hangers , bent them back over the tails I’d left, drilled and put an M8 bolt through with washers. I did the same with the back hangers, using the length taken from the old straps. Not as tidy a job as complete new straps, but they’ve had plenty of bumpy tracks and no sign of problems so far. I had the steel about, but if you fancy having a go, a steel supplier might cut you a couple of strips or try somewhere like this: https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/1-5mm-thick-mild-steel-sheet and cut your own.

If budgets tight I would go for used parts direct from a breaker . The tank rotting through is something rare I would say and if you insist the tank is not painted or tidied up they can only offer an honest item .

If your tanks that far gone check the rear axle mounts and body mounts , I think you mentioned somewhere that you weld so some touch up repair before anything breaks could save you a heap of work later .

Must guess you have bought a boat launcher .

while i was under the truck i could see the the rear axle mounts have been welded at some point shayne the body mounts look solid though .
i build bikes shayne so not bad with a welder :thumbup:
sounds like a good plan:icon-idea: flint don't fancy sheering the bolts off but i will give them a try first see if i get any movement if there solid your plan it is :thumbup:

the old tank looks like it is in a bad way but once i have the tank out i will see if it can be repaired if it can i will save it as a sparer use it to repair the tank guard

well guys managed to remove the old tank how this thing still held fuel i will never know the rear seam was rotted the under around the drain bung was that rusted it was porous :fearscream:
the strap bolts wouldn't budge and i didn't want to snap the heads off so i think i will have to go the same route that flint did with his straps.
the hose clips on rubber hoses on top of the tank had rusted away ,i can honestly say i have never come across a tank that bad .

you know how i said the rear body mounts looked ok ? well i had a closer look today and the only way i can describe them is flakey pastry ,thats going to have to be a job for summer as well as the rear cross member

Back