Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's this noise?

Umar

Country Flag
uk
I thought the alternator belts were slipping on the truck so I've taken off the 2 belts for the alternator and the aircon, this sound really is bizarre because it sounds just like belt slip with the belts off fired it up and it's still there you can't hear it on idle and as soon as the revs go up it goes away what could it be? I've tried to make a short video of it but the screech is not as loud as it actually is

Maybe the timing belt idler pulley/tensioner pulley?

Have you tried a mechanic's stethoscope? Or long screwdriver as an alternative.

I've tried the long screw driver method and can't pin point it on one hand it sounds like boost but it's too much of a screech if it's the idler for the timing belt how would I know would there be any visual signs the timing belt was done about 20k ago

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've got crap hearing but with the laptop squashed against my head i can hear the turbo spooling up ?

Sounds like a sharp whistle way too loud for turbo spool

As i said i'm deaf as a post but just for comparison i think you can hear my turbo whine in this th_me004_zps19325f31.mp4.jpg and its a fair bit louder now following other mods , seems likely the previous owner of your truck was handy with a spanner so maybe he upped the boost as i have ?

To my ears it sounds like a small dry and tartly bearing- cam belt idler pulley springs to mind for this. Or, a hole in the exhaust whistling.

How difficult is it to change the idler pulley if it is ive never changed a cambelt btw

Pretty straightforward but you MUST make sure the belt is correctly fitted with both toothed pulleys EXACTLY right on the timing marks. If not, engine turns to scrap when started! So only if you are confident you can line two pulleys to two marks and set the tension of the idler.

For me, first thing I would do is try and pinpoint which area the sound is coming from. If it sounds like the front of the engine, carefully remove the cam belt cover and have a look under there. Inspect the idler for any sign of not looking good and healthy, run the engine making sure nothing gets into the cam belt area (see 'scrap' above) and have a listen to the idler and see if it's that that's whistling at you.

It may have been changed with the last belt, many people do.

Right well it's a bid of a strange one fitted the belts back and fired it up no sound completely gone I'm scratching my head at this point because the full story is when I bought te truck it didn't make this sound but on cold the pulleys would play jingle bells so I sprayed a bit of gt85 on the belts that's when the screeching started so I was under the impression that the belts are slipping. Blipped the throttle a few times and it's back but when you accelerate slow it doesn't do it. The sound seems to be coming from the turbo area and near the engine mount I'm thinking could it be the mount squeeking when the engine rocks it has done 180k

My money's on a hole in the exhaust that's whistling. Not turbo whistle but a clear hole, possibly in the coupling donut (if it has one) as sometimes these can disintegrate.

Right well it's a bid of a strange one fitted the belts back and fired it up no sound completely gone...

So, no sound no problem, eh? Job done!

I would have favoured the cam belt tensioner pulley, some garages are not very conscientious about renewing the tensioner when they renew the belt, so that's a bit of an unknown...

Otherwise it does sound like some minor induction, so it could be from the turbo...

Not being very helpful here... methinks....

All points covered above apart from these 2.

1. Check for leaks on the turbo outlet and exhaust side. If there is a leak the often used steel gaskets can make sound like this. They can act like a reed which squeals when there is just the right air flow. I had one on an EGR flange gasket.

2. Listen down a pipe about 2 ft long by 1 1/2 inches diameter. This usually pin points the sound.

Could you believe it was the joint on the exhaust centre section :icon-rolleyes: when the engine would rock metal to metal would rub causing the screech took the Joint apart and resealed it voila job done but it took some time doing finding that one

Back