Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's your opinion?

mettisse

Supporter
I have a 12 valve 80, it has a big inter cooler, I've butchered the front grill to let air through but I don't like the look, I'm gonna fit a grill from the 24 valve model as it looks as if it would let more air through and easier, and tidy it up, can't help feeling it don't "" look right" am getting too far down the anorak road? What do you think?

I think you have to change the lower front panel too as they are slightly different shape.

I have a 12 valve 80, it has a big inter cooler, I've butchered the front grill to let air through but I don't like the look, I'm gonna fit a grill from the 24 valve model as it looks as if it would let more air through and easier, and tidy it up, can't help feeling it don't "" look right" am getting too far down the anorak road? What do you think?

This one mettisse?

Unless you've changed it since, I think it looks just great...

image.jpg

Yep, the very one! Looks better on the pic, it's ok but I'm not sure it lets the max amount of air through, the later grill looks like it'd let lots more. Bit wacky really, the car flies, it don't overheat, thing is, I've been given a nice 24 valver grill, it'd look nice etc. Yep, I'm deep in the realms of severely infected Anorac- ism, because it ain't " the correct one for the model" best regards to all, Bill Westley

The later grill is a nice mod to smarten the truck while still looking like it left the factory that way, my old '93 80 had the later grill, the 'Turbo' decals removed and a 100 series high level brake light added. All these mods helped to smarten and modernise the truck, while still looking stock. I don't know if the later grill is a straight swap onto an earlier 80, as the PO did the work.

I'll keep an eye out for you out and about in the 80 Bill, as we're quite close geographically.

Love the look of the grill mod in the pic, IMO I would leave it as is unless in the flesh it looks bad? Given the amount of IC exposed I don't see you gaining much more but no experience sooooo? You have more exposed IC than the top mount that one of the guys use here on their 80's and his goes likes a scorched cat.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Think i would be tempted to spray the cooler black to reduce the visual impact .

Think i would be tempted to spray the cooler black to reduce the visual impact .
Good idea! Might do that first, see how it looks as that's the easiest to do. And the previous suggestion from Dave 2000 about the grill from e bay is also nice but it says won't fit earlier 80s, looks good eh?
Thanks to all for your views and comments, regards, Bill Westley

If I'm honest here Bill, the bit that strikes me as not looking quite right is the cutout in the top of the bumper. I agree with Shayne to spray the cooler black which is what I plan to do with mine if I ever get the job done.

Your mesh mod looks ok, but again I feel would look more discreet sprayed black, or if available, the same colour as the original grille. I'm not so struck on the eBay one as to me the mesh looks too big. If I were to build one or do a major mod, I think I would put slightly angled stainless louvres in with around a ten degree downward slope into the whole grille and spray black or stock grey.

Did you find those photos of the pipe work from the cooler back to the engine? Would be good to see the routing and what fittings I need for doing mine.

Last edited:
If I'm honest here Bill, the bit that strikes me as not looking quite right is the cutout in the top of the bumper. I agree with Shayne to spray the cooler black which is what I plan to do with mine if I ever get the job done.

Your mesh mod looks ok, but again I feel would look more discreet sprayed black, or if available, the same colour as the original grille. I'm not so struck on the eBay one as to me the mesh looks too big. If I were to build one or do a major mod, I think I would put slightly angled stainless louvres in with around a ten degree downward slope into the whole grille and spray black or stock grey.

Did you find those photos of the pipe work from the cooler back to the engine? Would be good to see the routing and what fittings I need for doing mine.
Hello again, found some pics but they don't quite reveal enough to be any use, the good news is the latest model has slightly modified routing which is vastly superior to mine ( mine was the prototype) and is very much easier to fit and remove. I'll ask my pal for some pics of the new layout then you'll appreciate what I'm saying. The cutout you can see in the pic is there because now the winch is fitted it needs that cutout for operating the winch giggle pins for freespool etc. When the inter cooler was being fitted it was easier not to have it in place. Had some good suggestions here and will try some out. Best regards, Billy

If it's the same type intercooler (as the one in your truck is the same as the one in my garage) I'd be interested to see those photos Bill. Understand about the winch. Not too easy accommodating such things without modding something somewhere down the line.

Can't really see the later 24v grille flowing appreciably more air than the 12v version personally. If more air flow was my main priority I'd take an earlier grille, remove the centre louvred section entirely and replace it with some quality mesh, max 10mm, black powder coated and spray the IC matt or satin black. If retaining a standard or OE look is important then you're stuck really. JMO

I agree with shayne paint the ic in black and all you worries will disappear.
Stu

Im sceptical about painting or powder coating the intercooler as black or powder coated will attract it to heat up which is the opposite to what you want the intercooler to do. Its left shiny to reflect the heat and stop the intercooler heating up. Just my thought. Sometimes there's a reason why they're not painted!

Im sceptical about painting or powder coating the intercooler as black or powder coated will attract it to heat up which is the opposite to what you want the intercooler to do. Its left shiny to reflect the heat and stop the intercooler heating up. Just my thought. Sometimes there's a reason why they're not painted!

Actually it's the other way round. A dull black surface is the most efficient for thermal radiation into the surrounding atmosphere. Shiny surfaces are better at reflecting heat away but that's not what the radiator is for. Notice I did say powder coat the mesh and spray the IC. Powder coating would be thicker than a coat of matt black paint and that could affect heat dissipation. Most car radiators and AC condensers are painted black. Safari paint their IC's black http://www.safarisnorkel.com/intercooler/intercooler_product.htm.

Re painting black or not....... Black objects will lose heat to cooler air better than other colours. Likewise black will absorb heat from hotter objects easily - it all depends on the temperature of the hot black object and the hotter or cooler surroundings. I can't see what harm painting it black would cause but it may have only a small effect in any cases

I was just thinking of the intercooler in black would absorb heat from the coolant radiator instead of reflecting the heat in shiny format.
Thats all my comment was.. no offence intended. .

A fair comment i reckon Iwan it might make a difference if the coolers ran at anything near 100% efficiency but they don't so i doubt it will make much difference at all .

Could always leave the rear unpainted and just paint the front if there was any concern over heat transfer.
Personally, I'll be painting mine all over to stop the ravaging effects of the salt air down here. I've seen flood lights crumble in my hands on the sea front after 5 years. Fortunately we're a little bit back from the sea so not so bad.

Back