Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel arch flare clips

Shayne

Guru
5C0B01E3-CC8F-4AFE-BAB7-7615C97A233B.jpeg
im sure it’s been discussed already but I can’t find it

Flares off revealed nothing scary but the hook clip things are rusty so I decided to remove them for a clean up which was a mistake because the nut falls down inside the wing . I am not taking the wing off to retrieve , so has anyone come up with a solution that allows me to reuse the original clips ?

I've used push-in plastic jobbies which came with the arch set I ordered from Mr T. They tend to 'pop-off' as easily as they 'pop-on' mind you.

They must be available separately though but I have no idea of part numbers or suchlike.... sorry Shayne.

View attachment 157506 im sure it’s been discussed already but I can’t find it

Flares off revealed nothing scary but the hook clip things are rusty so I decided to remove them for a clean up which was a mistake because the nut falls down inside the wing . I am not taking the wing off to retrieve , so has anyone come up with a solution that allows me to reuse the original clips ?
Yes it what I used for my flairs they are called river nuts you will find them at most good hardwear stores and you have to drill holes in the gaurds to fit them.
Good luck but they are neater too.

BTW, mine were the 2-part thingies like the door card retaining clips, a female goes into the wing and the male, (well we all know what he does)...

I got aftermarket flares which i think , though i wont know until i can get the bloody side step off , slot into the original clips , how does that figure with what you bought Clive ?

Screwfix is teasing me with this on google images but because i don't know what its called i can't find it to buy .

cat840004_1?$catImages$.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
you can install riv nuts with a bolt some washers and a couple of nuts, loads of how to stuff on youtube etc

Yeah i seen that Mark but i'm tired of spending time getting nowhere , how many hours would 50 quid buy me if i took it to a pro who would do it wrong anyway .

I don’t see how those plaster-board type fixings are going to solve the problem, nor the rivnuts, because you need to run a nut or bolt (respectively) through your arches which will end up full of holes and nothing to purchase on to when you’ve drilled them.

My plastic thingies are not the same as your metal ones Shayne, not only in material, but the way they work is similar. The male part clips into the little plastic turrets moulded into the inside edge of the arch, then the whole lot pops into the females inserted into the wing.

Fibreglass flares bolt inside so its just having something to bolt to .

Use plenty of waterproof grease on them especially threads. They are aluminium and corrode easily.

Check out the Krown Frank , i watched a youtube vid a while back and an old guy who loved his rust bucket pickup gave it a go just hoping his rotten truck might last a bit longer . A year later the new steel he welded in is still new and as unlikely as it may seen the fluid had seeped under much of the unsightly flaking rust making it fall off .
I had the underside Krown coated a while back so its going inside the wings while i can get it in there and i would hope that will preserve the rivnut as well .

you can get steel riv nuts but they require more effort to install than the aluminium ones

and rubber and they don't need a tool at all! I used aluminium on my storage system but that's inside so corrosion isn't a worry. used rubber ones on low stress applications as they're not quite as permanent as the metal ones. Not sure they'd be upto the job for the flares though

When and if plans all come together they will be glued on with sikaflex as well because we only remove flares when they get damaged . But for now they need to be removable . I can always drill out the aluminium ones , assuming thats what came in the box .

Back