Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel bearing, failure, knuckle replacement.

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Anyone heard of a knuckle needing changing after a wheel brearing collapsed?

Vehicle felt fine, went into garage for a sticking rear calliper and a small oil leak, the wheel bearing on that corner had been rebuilt about 1k miles ago(by same garage). They gave Thomas a check over and found some play in that corner, when they inspected it they found the bearing collapsed and that in turn has damaged something else damaging the knuckle... can someone explain this in simple idiot terms as the bill is going to be bigger than I expected (Knuckle is 400ish, roughtrax)

THe 100 series front steering is very different to the 80. Being IFS, the stub axle is part of the steering knuckle. On the 80 the stub is a bolt on part. So, if on the 100 a bearing goes really pear shaped, it MIGHT damage the stub so much that it's no longer capable of taking the wheel bearings. It could be worn too small, grooved too deeply or even distorted. A garage will always say oooh mate you need a new one of those whereas we might say, hmm, it's good enough. Without knowing exactly what the damage is, it's impossible to say really. The stub on the knuckle is very important and needs to be within spec or it's just going to be wrong.

cheers for taking the time for that @Chris. The garage I’ve used for a couple of years now and always have been good. I will ask them to keep the parts so I can take some pictures.

When the bearings collapse they often start spinning on the spindle and damage it. As Chris said, just because there is visible damage does not mean it has to be replaced. If they worked on it 1k ago it should be their responsibility. Either they reinstalled a bearing that should have been replaced, or didn't install it correctly. They are easy to install if you know how, but they also commonly installed incorrectly by garages that are not familiar with how it should be done on an 80 or 100. Any play in the bearing is not normal but some places think there should be a little bit, because that's how they do it on Lame rovers and we all know how that works out!

Thanks Jon
I found a great write up on here about how to change them, just wish I had the facilities (hard standing) to do so.

Back