Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel Clamp Recommendations

Caron

Country Flag
great_britain
I've had a couple of dodgy visitors coming to my property to check out Snow White - LC80. I have a steering wheel lock and was just wondering what you recommend for a wheel clamp budget and mid-range price. Also have two Loki & Thor - Springer Spaniel Alarm systems - just feed treats. but want an extra deterrent. I will be looking at a lockable parking post this year but not sure when that will be.

Thank you

Caron

I've had a Bulldog 4x4 clamp out in all weathers on various trailers for the last few years and it's holding up very well. Simple and strong.

And put the transfer box in neutral too. Costs nothing and will give you another 5 minutes at least!

I work in the industry Shane and its not the deterrent people think anymore. Hoodies and face scarves are commonly used as disguise now so it's hard to get any useful images and it's retrospective. It's better to prevent than deter.

US member here, so it may be different in GB but maybe you can get the same marine battery switches we have here where you can take the switch knob/"key" out completely? If you drive it often, then this is inconvenient for sure but less inconvenient than walking out to an empty driveway... They would have to be carrying one of those specific keys or tools and a fabricated connector to bridge the terminals to be able to drive it away.

Same idea, but a kill switch somewhere atypical in the interior? Mislabel it on purpose if mounted within view... Even better, put it in a small safe that fits in the center console that you have to get into to operate. Like this. I have this very one in my console for other things that yall cannot have over in GB without some serious permitting : )

The visual deterrent by having a locking boot (thats what they call them here anyway, not meaning the "trunk" or boot as you call it in GB) would help prevent a broken window etc, but thats also a pain if you drive it often.

Good luck!

ATXKMM

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Think like a would be thief....

1. Getting into the vehicle.......Probably impossible to prevent on an ageing LC TBH but an alarm (with visual indication) to detect glass breaking and door opening etc will help.
2. Defeating the steering lock.....Not sure how easy the OEM lock is to break but a good after market clamp is both visual and an extra hindrance. I use one that clamps the wheel to the clutch pedal.
3. Starting the vehicle........There's the OEM immobiliser of course but an additional covert switch of some kind
is extra grief.
4. Driving the vehicle away.......Again, a wheel clamp is visual deterrent or something like a lockable post blocking the vehicles path. I saw a Disco some years back with a lockable clamp that locked both gear levers together. It looked to me like the xfer lever was in neutral and the main lever in reverse. It was painted yellow but had a home made look about it and I've not been able to find one commercially available.

Parking where the vehicle is hidden from view, except in an alarmed, locked garage can work against you giving a thief chance to work undisturbed. The advice from the Police about making it more difficult and time consuming so thieves move on and look elsewhere is good advice.

Just as important and obvious really is you have to actually use the security you have. I had a bike nicked in broad daylight from a busy Supermarket carpark back in November. I locked the steering (f*****g useless) but didn't use the disk lock I had in a bag on the luggage rack as I was only going to be in store 5 mins which I was.
Came out and it was gone. Three hooded scroats had broke the steering lock and just pushed it away in full view of numerous shoppers. Good disc locks can be defeated but it takes time which would have been enough to save it in this instance. Lesson learnt.

Last edited:
Parking where the vehicle is hidden from view, except in an alarmed, locked garage can work against you giving a thief chance to work undisturbed. The advice from the Police about making it more difficult and time consuming so thieves move on and look elsewhere is good advice.
Definitely, thieves don't want to hang around or draw attention...

Can you put a cover over it? It seems to work with bikes.

With my old rare and beautiful Jaguar I used to do a couple of things, the first is try and park facing a wall. and second I used to use a steering wheel lock that covered the entire steering wheel, I cannot remember the lock name but it was bright yellow with black writing on it. It had a built in hardened lock, and a really strange style of key. It was heavy and a PITA to store, but unless you had the key it was not coming off, with the steering turned on full lock even with a set of 'specs' it could not be towed away, certainly helped me sleep at night when I could not park it in the garage when not at home, in fact I used to use the steering wheel cover locked even when in the garage at home, I still have the Chubb insurance approved hasp/staple and lock that used to be on the garage doors, the insurance company insisted on me having that, in fact I still have the lock in my storeroom, and it really is a beast! Either way the wheel cover was a lot easier to remove and slip in a padded bag than faffing around with a wheel clamp.

My 3 litre Capri GXL had a removable steering wheel, but doubt there is a quick release steering wheel available for the 80, the 'squib' would be a problem for air bag models.

Regards

Dave

Out of interest guys.... anyone aware of any wheel clamps suitable for 35" tyres??

Out of interest guys.... anyone aware of any wheel clamps suitable for 35" tyres??
Have you considered one of those chains that the guys with motorbikes use? They are covered with a resilient plastic (often blue for whatever reason) and I say chain' but it looks more like a bendable spring but apparently resists cutting?

EDIT: Found this but watch through a little past the garage door lock and massive chain, at around six minutes.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Search for HGV wheel clamps .

Been thinking about them PIR motion sensors , I can't find one but its got to be out there , what if the sensor switched the kitchen light on .

Thieves be like :scared-eek: RUN!

Search for HGV wheel clamps .

Been thinking about them PIR motion sensors , I can't find one but its got to be out there , what if the sensor switched the kitchen light on .

Thieves be like :scared-eek: RUN!

Plenty of sensors about Shane however, they rarely have a good range........I mean what if your kitchen is not next to the Waitrose supermarket a couple of miles away? :)

Regards

Dave

Yeah but the op is worried about someone who knocked on their door to inquire about a vehicle on her property that can't be seen from the road .

For a travelling visual deterrent this is likely to prove more effective than anything else -

Niton Tactical Police Patrol Vest - Police/Military/Cadet/Security/Prison | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Everybody knows they look after their own so while a member of the public might be given a crime number and told to call insurers I'd fully expect an instant armed response team if you tried to steal a coppers car :lol:

@Shayne Now that's an interesting idea! Because it doesn't actually have to be the room light itself, it could just be a separate light bright light to mimic it.
If you had a light in two rooms with a few second delay???

As far as home parking goes, if you can park close to the house and you have a house alarm installed, you could wire the car/bike etc into that. I did this with a set of patio firnuture when we had a set nicked from the back garden years ago. A couple of external, multipin sockets wired into an alarm circuit with a bypass switch and mounted on the house wall, then wire up a patch lead to thread though whatever you're protecting. If it gets cut or unplugged the house alarm goes off. I also wired the 3 existing floodlights round the house into the alarm box feed via a relay so the front drive, rear garden and side passageway light up like a Christmas tree. We also intended to fit razor wire across the back fence but were strongly advised against it by the police. Public liability and all that, the fact someone is scaling your fence to burgle counts for nothing apparently.

Last edited:
Back