Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel nut torque on 80

Toyota owner's manual (80 series).......

4DF2279F-6736-44FA-BEE5-C83DEE4DBBE9.png

Steve - cheers - I think the complication is that there are two different nut types on the alloys - conical and shank. I think the 97 refers to the conical version, 76 to the shank ones. I think!?!

FWIW the manual that came with the Cruiser also states 76lb/ft, but my trucks a 96....

Who knew something so simple could be this complicated!?!

Sorry Towpack - was typing as your post came in. So your manual aligns with mine!

Early 80's had 15' wheels and a different style of alloy wheel. Maybe that's where the confusion lies? I assume, on the later models at least, the studs are the same for both steel and alloy wheels so if you want to swap alloy to steel you can do with just new nuts?

Karl 2000 yes it does sound like someone had a calculator error so had a look at Haynes manual and says

Steel Wheels 209 Nm

Alloy Wheels 131Nm

The Nm value is the same in Max Ellery manual and Hayes manual for the steel wheels so reckon best thing is to go with Towpacks number of 142 Nm or 105 Ftlbs which sounds a lot more reasonable perhaps thet were thinking of the car transporter parked outside the office window having a tyre change when they were writing the manual and as one was written in Australia and the other in America WOW what a coincidence who would have thought

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Resurrecting this thread again……
Aluminum wheels OEM torque spec is………
76 ft/lb,
97 ft/lb,
105 ft/lb
is there a consensus?
Thank you.

Back