Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel Nuts

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
So my LC went in for a service and I reported a missing wheel nut which happened last time we were at Salisbury plain :roll:

So when I went to collect my LC, the service lady says the technician is just tightening the wheel nuts.. I go oh whys that? Just as she is explaining the technician comes out and looks at me and says..... "Sir, all your wheel nuts were finger tight!!!!" Now thinking about this, Crispin checked them at the garage when we stopped on the way back from Salisbury, and I checked them again since!

I have no real explanation for them coming loose, apart from the fact that I had had my rubber changed just after the first Salisbury trip and that the guys had warned me that there was loads of crap between the wheels and the hubs, and that I should check them to ensure that they were tight as they were not able to clear out all the mud.

So being a bit paranoid, do you think that these could work themselves loose on their own, or do you think "someone" is playing silly buggers here? I generally get on ok with my neighbours, and it s quiet close with my LC parked out of general public view.... I dunno!

Thoughts?

Moral of the story I suppose it CHECK THOSE WHEEL NUTS!!!! :shock: :o

Dont know about them loosening themselves - if they are torqued up properly (and clean at the back of the wheel, and no junk inside the nut)t they should be fine.

Was the locking nut loose? If it was someone loosening them, that one would remain tight (well, should do)
But if the guys cleaned the hub before putting the wheel on they should be fine. Very odd...

adrianr said:
if they are torqued up properly
Yeah not sure if they were... but I did tighten them up bush style.... i.e. stood on the wheel spanner :shock:

Crispin said:
Was the locking nut loose?
Now that I don't know as I forgot to ask... well I will be checking them again this weekend to be sure....

Stick a bit of tipex on the join between the nut and wheel or a permanent marker

Back