Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel spacer gives strain on ball joints?

Jebe

Country Flag
falkland_islands
Need an experts opinion on this one. I know putting a wheel spacer gives an extra strain/load on the wheel bearing. But does it give extra strain/load on the lower ball joints too? my left ball joint gave up and My mechanic told me it because the wheel spacers gives more strain on the ball joints as I already have a 10x16" rims with -32 offset and 305/70. I already change both side with a genuine Toyota ball joints and bolts (huhuhu quite expensive bugger) and wanted to leave the spacers on but now I am having second though due to what my mechanic told me. the spacer is a 35mm bolt on from roughtrax. Any expert opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Shane,
around 130+k on the clock. It just came out of a full service and MOT check a month before. Upon checking All the bolts broke off but eh ball joint is still intact, I was thinking the bolt was over torqued when they've changed the boot but not sure. My Mechanic said ball joints failed and need replacement.

its largely accepted the ball joints are poorly designed and break without warning so replacing at that kind of mileage is advisable in any case . Personally i accept bigger wheels cause more wear on everything but its not a deal breaker for me and i'd expect new genuine ones to last at least half as long as they do on an unmodified truck

Here's my two cents... Generally speaking I don't think these ball joints go from working to failure in a matter of seconds. You should check play in them often, especially if you are lifted and off road a lot. When there is play, replace, if not, there is no need (other than maybe peace of mind).

I've ran spacers on my truck for pretty much the last 15 + years and I'm still on original bearings/suspension components including the LBJ. My wheel setup has changed over the years, but including the spacers my offset tend to always be -35mm. At most I've also had -65mm for a good 3 years too.

I think it's a good idea to replace those LBJ bolts if they've been in and out often. You could even upgrade the hardware. Like you said over tightening could also have been the reason why they broke.

thanks for the info. I shall keep the spacer on then :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't find the spacers and as everything is apart i may as well add them , does anyone have a link ?

Are you referring to wanting wheel Spacers Shayne?

I'm less concerned about the strain on my balls as being able to check if my nuts are tight, so to speak

Back