Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheels and tyres Qs for an 80

Dan W

Garage
Hello everyone, I promised I've searched before asking but I'd just like to clarify a few things before I go ahead. On my old Surf I had steel modular rims 15x10 with 33x12.5 BFGoodrich AT tyres on. These have served me very well whilst I had it so I'd like a similar set-up on the new Landcruiser.

Sooooo....as far as I can see there's not many places that sell imperial size tyres now, so as far as I'm aware the nearest metric size that will fit is 285x75x16, namely these ones: http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=&id=17030 Have I got that right?

Regarding wheels I'd like to go with the modulars again.
I found these: http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=10x16-Black-D-Mod-6x139.7-(Jap)&id=31184
However the issue with these is that the offset is -32 which (I think) pushes the rim further towards the wheel arch. I think I'll like the look of this but will it increase the risk of it fouling the wheel arch?

I'm planning a two inch lift in the future so hopefully that will cancel out any rubbing problems but it may not be for a while. I don't intend on doing any heavy duty offroading until the lift is completed.
Any advice is much appreciated, thanks (and sorry if a million people have asked this before).

Last edited:
I'd check with the supplier that the 285's are ok on a 10" wide wheel, seems a bit wide for them but I haven't looked up the fitment guide for them. 8" might be a better size.

I'd check with the supplier that the 285's are ok on a 10" wide wheel, seems a bit wide for them but I haven't looked up the fitment guide for them. 8" might be a better size.

Just when I thought I understood it :doh:OK from a tyre conversion claculator, a 33x12.5x15 tyre translates to a 318x68x16. Am I right in assuming the 75 has dropped to 68 because of the difference in rim size? So the nearest size is actually 315x75x16 but I can't find BFGs in that size :icon-confused: and they might foul the arches.
So it might be best to get 285x75x16 on a 16x8 rim? And final question, will these look too small once it's lifted.
Thanks (eternally confused) Dan

285x75x16 on a 16x8 rim is a good combination both before and after a 2" ish lift. Before you lift it they will fill the arches nicely but may rub a little on big suspension compressions and the fronts might catch on the inside of the bumper a touch at some angles but it shouldn't be a big problem. Once lifted they shouldn't catch at all and won't look too small with a 2" ish lift. It's a common combination.

Fitting 285/75 - 16 BFG AT on 16x8 steels tomorrow to my 80

Done it before with this size with 285/75 - 16 BFG Muds with droopy suspension with no worries

I've got 285/75/16's on mine ..... rims are 8x16

rims are a deep dish .. and have a -32 offset to push the tyres out to the edge of the wheel arch ..

Click the pics to see em bigger
th_20121023_142822.jpg th_20121023_142624.jpg
hope that hepls ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's brilliant thankyou. They're the same wheels I was looking at getting. Could I ask, where you got them from, I can only find that wheel with that offset with a yellow pinstripe that I'm not keen on.
I think the negative offset looks alot better, do you have any problems with them rubbing?

Thanks for the details, I've been looking at this company as its quite close to me, I've heard he's very helpful and friendly so I might have a drive down.
I need new rear shocks too, so this might turn out to be an expensive week.

Back