Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheels and tyres, what to get?

TurboHatchback

Country Flag
uk
My new 80-series currently has aftermarket 15" alloys with a mixture of road biased tyres, I don't really like the wheels and I'm going to Iceland this summer which will require more knobblyness so a new set of wheels and tyres are in order. Ideally I'd like to spend <£50 a wheel for the rims themselves.

For tyres I am currently favouring the Cooper ST Maxx, this is only available in 16"+ sizes so a 16" rim is required.

4x4tyres .co.uk do 16x7 rims for decent prices though I would rather a 16x8.

Silverline wheels seem to do a range of wheels which suggest they would fit, I've not contacted them to get a price yet though.

I'm led to believe that Toyota themselves do steel wheels though I imagine the price will be fairly hysterical. I'm also on the look out for a set of 2nd hand original alloys but I suspect they will be quite a high price for a nice set with centre caps. Does anyone have any experience of the above options or any other wheel suggestions?

I bought a set of cheap steel modulars 16x8, probably for around the £50 mark per wheel (can't remember exactly but they were cheap). As is always the case, you get what you pay for. 4 years on and they're showing signs of corrosion. The advantage was cost and they are a lot lighter than the OEM steels. If I did it again I'd probably buy the same but get them professionally sprayed before I mounted the tyres. I reckon they'd look the better for it in the long term and the cost would likely still be cheaper than a set of alloys.

I may have a set of steel OEM wheels. Ill have a look if you decide to go that way.

I bought a set of cheap steel modulars 16x8, probably for around the £50 mark per wheel (can't remember exactly but they were cheap). As is always the case, you get what you pay for. 4 years on and they're showing signs of corrosion. The advantage was cost and they are a lot lighter than the OEM steels. If I did it again I'd probably buy the same but get them professionally sprayed before I mounted the tyres. I reckon they'd look the better for it in the long term and the cost would likely still be cheaper than a set of alloys.

Yep, I did the same with my 16x10" and if I'd been more patient and painted them before fitting I think mine would be in better condition than they are now.

I paid much less for mine, from a local 4x4 garage who happened to have some in stock, €30 IIRC, very cheap. But, the paint finish was crap and I've since spent out on grit blast and repaint, making them not so cheap in the long run.

In any event, I'd recommend getting them painted in some good stuff while they're new, once the rust has started, it's too late IMHO.

I managed to find 3+1 original 16"x8" alloys. Cost £100 for the four in dire need of refurb, then £70 to blast them plus £120 to powder coat. Plus £100 courier (mistake) then add £320 for some second hand Cooper STTs and £15 each to fit. £770 very quickly.

If I had bought the BF Goodrich shod second hand alloys off eBay for £480 plus delivery at £50, the alloys would still need a refurb some day so around the same cost long term.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the tips, some useful stuff there.

I may have a set of steel OEM wheels. Ill have a look if you decide to go that way.

I'm interested, if you could post/pm me some pictures and what you would be asking for them that would be good. I'm off to Toyota on Saturday to pick up my big end bolts so I'll ask how much OEM steels are new while I'm there.

i'm currently running 33" x 12.5 x 15 Mickey Thompson MTZs and want to move to a thinner all terrain if you'd consider some sort of swap.

i'm currently running 33" x 12.5 x 15 Mickey Thompson MTZs and want to move to a thinner all terrain if you'd consider some sort of swap.

Thanks for the offer but I've now got some 16x7 steels and the tyres are in the mail (Cooper ST Maxx i went for in the end).

The OE 16 x 8 alloys are some of the strongest around IMO, get a set and get them refurbished, had mine recently done, they look the mutts nuts.

regards

Dave

I did exactly that. Also found a pair on eBay in new condition. Shame the seller only wrapped them in cling film to send them then blamed the courier. Still they are mostly ok. I'm just looking for two more in similarly good condition to go with them to put my road tyres on.

Last edited:
Back